Author Topic: South India Special  (Read 5755 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
South India Special
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:24 PM »
This is my first attempt at doing a BIR version of a traditional Sri Lankan curry.
My inspirations were :-
Sri Lankan black lamb curry  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12690.0.html.
CHs North India special  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5948.0.html
Blade's chicken tikka

Precook 1/4 onion plus green chilli. I use large Morrocan ones because they're easily available and they don't disintegrate. I didn't bother adding any thing to this.

Heat oil: 1 1/2 pretentious chef spoons
Add GG paste. 1 tsp garlic, 1/2 tsp ginger
Add 1 star anise + 10 (ish) curry leaves.

Add 1 tsp tomato puree mixed with water

Add 1 tsp black curry powder (in the first link), 1/3 tsp tumeric, 1/3 tsp black mustard seeds, 1 heaped tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)

Add ladle of base ( CT's I believe although it may have been JB's)
Add Chicken tikka, I use Blade's recipe as a base, but this was a little different. I used 750g of chicken, 1 tsp of black curry powder, 1 tsp tandoori masala, a 1/2 tsp of 'paprika', 1 tsp of GG paste, squeeze of lemon, a splash of veg oil and 1 blade of lemon grass (minced).

note:- I only used half the chicken in the recipe.

Add rest of base
Add 3cm piece of pandanus (ranpe)
Add 1 tsp cider vinegar
Add precooked onion and chilli

Cook til you happy with the sauce.

I'm sure I've made some mistakes, I've eaten nothing since a 'London' cheesecake for lunch, I'm sick which is why I'm at home and I've nearly finished my bottle of wine...

Anything not clear, just ask. I won't teach you to suck eggs on the basic method.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: South India Special
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Thanks for posting the recipe, fried. I might just give this a go at the weekend, although I might be struggling for 55g of curry leaves. Need to check the cupboard, but I dare say I can scale the quantities to suit the recipe's requirements.

If I produce anything near as good-looking as yours, I'll be extremely happy! :)

PS: Open another bottle - you deserve it! :D

PPS: Just noticed the 'pandanus' - screw pine? None of that in the cupboard, but I suppose I could always add some Kewra water as a substitute.

littlechilie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Fried, if that curry tastes half as good as it looks, well you'r are on to a sure winner. 8)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Looks lovely fried :) Good stuff.

What's a 'London' cheesecake btw?

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Thanks for posting the recipe, fried. I might just give this a go at the weekend, although I might be struggling for 55g of curry leaves. Need to check the cupboard, but I dare say I can scale the quantities to suit the recipe's requirements.

PPS: Just noticed the 'pandanus' - screw pine? None of that in the cupboard, but I suppose I could always add some Kewra water as a substitute.

I scaled the black curry powder recipe to 5.5g of curry leaves, a little tricky to measure the rest of the ingredients if you're very fussy.  The first time I made the traditional recipe I didn't use the pandanus and it was fine.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Looks lovely fried :) Good stuff.

What's a 'London' cheesecake btw?

It's a 'puff' pasty square with some frangipane and raspberry jam inside, topped with icing and coconut. These were popular down sarf before the normal cheesecake took over. I think you can get them in 'Greggs'. My old man loves them and my missus knocked up a batch while they were visiting this weekend.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NYKtAZw5Ms0/UPMWISAEXYI/AAAAAAAAHD8/7HyN7yDrroY/s1600/1-20130112_144939.jpg

They always used to be round.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Yes. London cheesecake rocks the Casbah!  8)

GREAT curry too!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Top looking curry fried but i got to say the mrs wins hands down. My all time favourite, the cheesecake. You just can't beat it IMO.  Always been square round my neck of he woods.  Must pop into Greggs  :P Don't often see them around much nowadays, the cheesecake that is  ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:41 PM »
nice looking dish fried

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42 PM »
It's a 'puff' pasty square with some frangipane and raspberry jam inside, topped with icing and coconut. These were popular down sarf before the normal cheesecake took over. I think you can get them in 'Greggs'. My old man loves them and my missus knocked up a batch while they were visiting this weekend.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NYKtAZw5Ms0/UPMWISAEXYI/AAAAAAAAHD8/7HyN7yDrroY/s1600/1-20130112_144939.jpg

Thanks mate - every day's a school day :)

©2024 Curry Recipes