Author Topic: pilau rice  (Read 8011 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
pilau rice
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:19 PM »
As promised here's my tried and trusted recipe for pilau rice.In fact you can use the same method for boiled rice just miss out the spices and colour.

Ive never been any good at cooking rice.I've tried just about every recipe on here,even the so called fool proof methods.I even brought a rice cooker but that was no good.Every time I cooked rice I was just left with a big soggy clump of rice.Honestly,this method has never failed me,and I've used it countless times.If you follow my recipe you should be left with perfect fluffy rice.I remember seeing the technique before,perhaps on here so apologies if anyone recgonizes it.

First,the rice.I don't bother washing it.I've used washed rice and unwashed and there's never any difference to the final product.I'm guessing there my be a technical reason why you should wash your rice,and I've seen many BIR wash their rice but unwashed rice works for me so I'll stay with it.

This should make enough rice for 3-4 people.

First get a large pan on a medium heat,and about two tablespoons of ghee or veg oil and heat.Then add your spices.For this amount I added 3 green cardomons(slightly cracked),3 Indian bay leaves,1 small bit  of casia,3 cloves,1 star anise.Also add a quarter teaspoon roughly each of mustard seeds,cumin seeds,fennel seeds,salt and onion seeds.Gently colour(do not burn)then add a tablespoon of ginger/garlic paste and stir.Then pour in your rice and coat in the oil/garlic/spice mixture.Pour in boiling water until the depth of the water is about a centimeter and a half above the rice.This is important,do not add a lot more or less as the rice won't cook properly.It doesn't matter how much rice you are cooking,the depth of water is always the same.

Bring the rice to the boil,stir it so nothing is stuck to the bottom,and boil with a lid on for about two minutes,the turn down the heat to it's lowest setting for another two minutes.Turn the heat off and leave the pan on the hot stove,with a lid on for about half an hour.Cover any holes in the saucepan lid with foil and don't be tempted to lift the lid within the half hour.This is the key to the rice absorbing the water.

After half an hour,gently fork the rice into a large baking tray.The rice may seem a bit stuck together.Don't worry,as soon as the rice is finished in the oven this will fix this.Add your colours(I use red,green and orange) and remove the large whole spices.Put the tray into a medium oven for another half an hour.After this,fork through and the rice should be perfect.I then let mine cool down,put into a fridge and then microwave when needed.

This is how my latest rice turned out....

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: pilau rice
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Nice one jb, Thanks for posting  :) :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Basically what I do, except I cook mine in the microwave oven for 12 minutes at 100% and 20 minutes at 10%.   And I aim for 1/3" water, which is a little less than you, but I am typically cooking one cup (or two at most) of rice.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:06 PM »
I think that's CA's method.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:21 PM »
The microwave?

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Thanks jb
I do neglect my rice as in my energy levels get very low after cooking the curries
And the poor rice doesn't get much love :'(
I will give this one ago    and save this page  ;)
Cheers MT

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11 PM »
I think that's CA's method.

Not quite, CA's isn't the absorption method.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1383.msg12185.html#msg12185

If this is the one your'e on about.

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Just done 10 portions of pilau myself.

bring a pot of water to the boil with
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
A piece of cassia
2 indian bay leaves
the juice of half a lemon

boil for a couple of mins and then remove the spices (put to one side)

Add rice (unwashed) and stir
continue to cook rice stirring gently and occasionally

After 8 mins remove from heat and drain

transfer to a large casserole dish, large patter or whatever you have and gently run a fork through the rice.

add ghee/butter or oil to a pan
add 2 cloves of garlic minced
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
and the hard spices from earlier
and cook for a few mins until the garlic browns.
strain the oil through a sieve and pour over your rice.

Been doing pilau this way for a long time and it never fails.

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Regards washing the rice, my understanding is that washing it first removes foreign matter and unwanted starch.

More importantly though, a lot of rice seemingly contains arsenic (or similar nasties) and washing it is essential in removing the soil based poisons.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 05:32 PM »
how much rice do you use for 4 people JB?
A quantity was never mentioned.

Jenny

©2024 Curry Recipes