Author Topic: Boys and their toys  (Read 10137 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Boys and their toys
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I refer specifically to tandoor ovens, purchased for use at home. How essential are they for producing BIR flavours when making tikka and naan bread? I'm not convinced and it reminds me of my interest in hi-fi a few decades ago. The hi-fi magazines would have you believe it was essential to purchase loudspeaker and phono type cables which were hyper expensive due to the materials they claimed were used for better conductivity and sonic excellence. I now reckon it was all hype, aimed at getting gullible people to spend more money.

Tikka can be cooked to perfection using a domesic grill or barbecue.

Naan bread can be cooked perfectly well using the inverted pan method.

Who needs a bulky tandoor, unless you're primarily interested in the theatrics and to impress guests?

Also, aren't there one or two people on here who are linked to tandoor oven suppliers?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Boys and their toys
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42 PM »
 ::)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56 PM »
I won't be Coming around your house George
With your nicely ovened tikkas

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:58 PM »
At least the Hi-Fi will be ok

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:05 PM »
It reminds me of my interest in hi-fi a few decades ago. The hi-fi magazines would have you believe it was essential to purchase loudspeaker and phono type cables which were hyper expensive due to the materials they claimed were used for better conductivity and sonic excellence. I now reckon it was all hype, aimed at getting gullible people to spend more money.

You didn't buy from these people, did you George ?
** Phil.

Offline GulfExpat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:09 PM »
George, an award winning Indian chef told me that 20% of the flavour of Tikka comes from cooking in the Tandoor oven.

The man's food is excellent:

purplepoppadom.com

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I refer specifically to tandoor ovens, purchased for use at home. How essential are they for producing BIR flavours when making tikka and naan bread? I'm not convinced and it reminds me of my interest in hi-fi a few decades ago. The hi-fi magazines would have you believe it was essential to purchase loudspeaker and phono type cables which were hyper expensive due to the materials they claimed were used for better conductivity and sonic excellence. I now reckon it was all hype, aimed at getting gullible people to spend more money.

Probably tandoors are not for you George as in a lot of posts i've read by you, you do come across a bit parsimonious.

Probably can George but there's a thing which you can't seem to comprehend called the feel good factor. A bit like having a XJS (where the two side are apparently different lengths ) when you can get the tube.

See answer above

Who needs a bulky tandoor, unless you're primarily interested in the theatrics and to impress guests?

Definitely see answer above.

Also, aren't there one or two people on here who are linked to tandoor oven suppliers

One, who hasn't posted in a while whilst the other person your'e thinking off lives south of london, and not in Nottingham and obviously loves his by the looks of his posts. Imagine cooking all that under your grill?

You haven't got any gold plated HDMI leads by any chance have you?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:52 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 12:29 PM »
If tandoor-cooked tikka is so much better out of a tandoor (using gas and lava stones - with no charcoal in sight), how is it that so much tikka bought from BIRs who use tandoors, is not as good as tikka cooked at home on a domestic grill or simple barbecue

Change your restaurant George, it must be (4 letter word)!

You are clearly getting riled by my doubts about the taste benefits of a tandoor. It suggests to me that I might have a point. I find it highly unlikely that taste, aroma and other similar aspects are improved by cooking in a tandoor, rather than by using a barbecue or domestic oven.

Your Indian barbecue box and tandoor look great, and would be fantastic for social gatherings. All I'm suggesting is that the taste and aroma of the food seems unlikely to make it worth the purchase cost and storage space required, unless it's for social gatherings.

I don't, of course, refer to just one Indian restaurant. I mean dozens and dozens of places I've visited all around the world, over many years. As Blade said, his tikka is "better than the BIRs" (when cooked on a domestic stove). I agree with him.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 02:02 PM »

Change your restaurant George, it must be (4 letter word)!

:D

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these toys. http://shop.biggreenegg.co.uk/

Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes