Author Topic: Anda Bhurji (Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs)  (Read 8258 times)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Anda Bhurji (Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for that Livo. I've tried to edit the post but I can't. Not a severe cock up imo but annoying for the op. Chilli power quantity not critical. Depends on your own preferences as is always the case. Hope you enjoy the dish anyway

Regards
Mick

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 02:31 AM »
I had this again this morning for Sunday breakfast.  If you haven't tried it yet you are really missing out.
I didn't have fresh methi but substituting in celery leaf and a pinch of dried methi is pretty good anyway.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 12:38 AM »
I cook this dish regularly as it is now one of Mrs L's favourite weekend breakfasts.  She's on break at the moment so I'm about to cook it for both of us.  We now usually have it accompanied with a nice green Sandwich Chutney.

The purpose of this post is to advise that I have found something that may just add to the dish overall.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to do it this morning.  I've often watched the videos of street vendors cooking hundreds of eggs in different forms and wondered what the spices they use are.  Some things are quite obvious, but I always felt that I was missing something.

Anyway, this morning I found a video for Mumbai Egg Bhurji, and it listed the commonly used street food ingredient Pav Bhaji Masala.  I recall seeing it but have never tried it.  A quick look around the web and I find that MDH make a packet masala, but it is very easy to put together and I have all the ingredients here.  This one could be something for Phil as one recipe I found uses Kala Namak instead of plain sea salt.

Ingredients include Red Chilli (Kashmiri or otherwise), Coriander seed, Cumin seed, Fennel seed, Cloves, Cinnamon or Cassia, Cardamom (usually black but green is option), Amchur (Mango Powder), Kala Namak * (or substitute plain salt) and Turmeric.  Some recipes add other spices which are ground ginger, black pepper, star anise, nutmeg and mace.

I usually use fresh ginger and black pepper in the dish anyway, but I guess I will add it to the mix when I make a batch.  I may already be close to this as I usually serve my own portion with a sprinkle of Chat Masala which includes several of the listed spices anyway.

* Kala Namak or Himalayan Black Salt has a very distinctive sulphur / egg aroma. 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 08:57 AM »
* Kala Namak or Himalayan Black Salt has a very distinctive sulphur / egg aroma.

... which lifts a simple egg mayonnaise to a whole new level :)

©2024 Curry Recipes