Author Topic: BBQ & Silverfoil... Amazing!  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
BBQ & Silverfoil... Amazing!
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:24 PM »
I've just been in the BBQ pit at a Morrocan restaurant in Marrekech!  I learnt something I thought I'd share as nothing else to do while sitting by the pool avoiding the sun at 41C... Ouch, not nice!

They have their coals deep and very hot.  Their grill is very close to the coals, no further than 3 inches away.  For me, both these facts have always mean't disaster & cremation.  But not hear!!!   They put a sheet of aluminium foil over the top of the grill which reduces airflow/oxygen and stops flames!  The result is: High heat, lots of smoke, no flames, quickly cooked food, meat remains juicy & tender, has fantastic BBQ flavour and taste.   

I can't wait to try this out when I'm back home.

Would like to hear any other experiences.

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BBQ & Silverfoil... Amazing!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:37 AM »
I have been thinking about this recently as well.  When I barbecue kebabs for example I always think they lack a smokey flavour. This is over charcoal, so maybe the addition of wood chips would help?  But i did also ponder about covering them with foil to see if that works.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:30 AM »
VinoTinto.  Yeah, it worked a treat mate.  The smokey BBQ flavour was immense. They didn't flare up just gave out a huge amount of smoke that I'm sure will upset my neighbours.  My guess is that the heat will be intensified by covering which could over colour the meat etc but I thought I'd then wrap the meat in foil to stop the colouring but keep cooking them through!  I haven't tried this on a BBQ yet VinoT but I do cover my shish kebabs When in the Tandoor if the tandoor is too hot and the meat starts to brown too much and that works a treat!  Also seen a Tandoor Chef do that. 

I guess wood chip & covering would be even better!

I'm gonna try that mate - thanks

I doubt if the flavour will be anything like cooked in a tandoor but quite a lot of the time I want something different and familiar.

Cheers & good luck. 

Offline nursebetty

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Sounds good :)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:10 AM »
hi

Did you put foil over the grill and then put the meat on the foil or foil over the coals?

©2024 Curry Recipes