Author Topic: Re-acquaintance with an old friend  (Read 11705 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Re-acquaintance with an old friend
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:32 PM »
BTW, I'm now a 10th dan samosa ninja thanks to your teachings ;)  I can knock out a dozen or so in no time at all these days and they always go down a storm (another of your great contributions)

;D ;D ;D In that case, i'll have 2 dozen veg and one dozen of lamb.  When can i pick them up?
Glad it's working for you zc  ;)

littlechilie

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Hi CH, full congratulations as this indeed looks a full of flavour dish I will be trying for myself! Think I seen a link to your recipe on the thread, well I hope I did! If not would u let me have it if possible please?
It's also great to hear your cooking curry again after your break.

I visited my local indian on Friday and ate there chicken Phal, it looked very simula  to your dish minus the peppers and onion.
The Phal was one of the hottest I have ever eaten but was full of tomatoes and flavour, I will be interested to follow along on your vindaloo challenge.
Regards.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Hi LC. If i had to pick  two dishes that are my favourite BIR food it would be this dish and my locals vindaloo.  I love them both.  I am quite happy with the NIS recipe although i have played with it a little since i first posted it in terms of order of adding ingredients and substituting the Tamarina and Imli sauces with CBM's Bengali tamarind sauce.  This works equally as well.  Here's the link already posted  TWICE in this thread  ;D
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8702.0.html
Another phall recipe worth trying is Parker 21's.  This should also deliver good results. Risky business ordering a phall in a restaurant unless you eat there regularly.  You never know a) if it will be cooked properly and actually have flavour as well as heat and b) will it be hot enough for you  :)
The vindaloo journey will be an interesting one and a likely challenge. Like a madras, few ingredients but a devil of a dish to get spot on.  This is obviously made harder by the regional factor and if i get close, it will be to the dish I am looking to replicate, which may be totally different to what others look for in a vindaloo  ::)  I expect the journey to be one of tweaking and adjusting quantities of the key ingredients to get the balance in line with what i'm looking for.  Soon as i get underway I'll start a thread.
Must off to the kitchen now to prepare yet another portion of NIS for this evening's dinner which will be accompanied by tarka dhall and my favourite, keema rice  :P

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Being off work this week, and having made so much of MDB's chicken tikka that I have been invited to the Dumfries & Galloway Annual Poultry Farmers' Ball, I thought I'd better make some use of my free time.

Dave's NIS has been on my to-do list for a long time so I gave it a go:

It doesn't look as good as Dave's, I know, and I threw some green stuff on top for the picture then swiftly removed it. And....I haven't eaten it - I'm saving it for a special occasion. But I did have a wee taste of the sauce (or six) and it is beautiful. My favourite dish of this nature has been Stephen's Punjabi Masala but this might just have overtaken it. A lovely flavour and a good kick of chilli (although I didn't make it as hot as Dave probably does).

Step-Garp is taste testing tonight as I made a couple of portions and he liked the look of it. Although, having tasted the sauce, what can go wrong?

Lovely curry CH, well worth the effort :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42 PM »
There are a number of recipes for restaurant-quality dishes scattered about this forum website - some are more difficult to find than others, but they are there. Curryhell's NIS is right up there with the best, and I'd be happy to part with good money for it if it was served up at a sit-down meal.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04 PM »
I though there was mischief afoot when i see a Garp curry with the dreaded green foilage on it  :o :o
Are you sure you didn't get a delivery from the chef that used to cook this at the Elaichi??
Looks exactly as i remember it before it became BIR history.  Hope you and step Garp enjoy the flavour combined with copious amounts of MDB's tikka  ;D ;D

I'd be happy to part with good money for it if it was served up at a sit-down meal.

And so would I if i could find anybody to cook it  >:(  ;D

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Thanks CH. It's a topper of a curry, and I've only tasted the sauce - can't wait to bite into one of those slivers of garlic....mmmm.

I will post Step Garp's verdict once he has been prised off phone/social media/X Box etc etc

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Good Lord, that looks Immense :)

Offline tapp

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Hi CH, great looking curry, perfect colour, that's how I like my curries. I also love the Balti bucket, I have only been to one Indian restaurant who served those buckets but they put the rice in it and that was in Bangkok, I think your way is better, I am sure some naan soldiers can be made to dip into :-)

©2024 Curry Recipes