Poll

After cooking a curry do you leave it to develop or do you believe it's a matter of fresh senses that improve the flavour.

I believe a curry develops in flavour from being left overnight or for a period of time.
8 (66.7%)
I leave a curry for the next day only so my senses are fresh to enjoy it.
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Do spices developing after a curry is cooked and rested?  (Read 7758 times)

littlechilie

Ok so we often hear people talk about leaving a curry to develop in flavour, or for the spices to intensify!

Is there any truth in this theory, or are we just approaching the dish the following day with fresh senses?

The above is my opinion it's just my senses dulled from cooking, but it would be interesting to here members thoughts and opinions.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Do spices developing after a curry is cooked and rested?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 08:41 AM »
That is a good question. I suspect it may be a bit of both. If I have a very long session of cooking curry I find that my senses are very dulled, but I do think that the dishes change a bit when left over night. I find the same thing happens with other types of dish too and also when I have had a shorter session.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:04 AM »
I leave a curry overnight in the fridge in hope the flavour will improve.
More often than not, the spices & flavour will mellow a little which can be a good thing if I've over done it, but bad if it was perfectly balanced.
I have trouble keeping my appetite when cooking.
A fresh day brings me fresh senses

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Fresh is best for me, everytime.
I still really enjoy the curry the next day whether it be home cooked or take away, but fresh out the pan is best. Heated up the next day is re-cooking the ingredients, losing the fresh taste IMO

littlechilie

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Yes I agree MA fresh is how a curry should be served, preferably with hot Chapati or Naan :)

But great point, when precooked meat is added first then cooking the dish and reheating the next day! Well the dish quality must suffer.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Next day is always better with red meat, as it is with a stew of the same.  My wife used to work in a Sri Lankan Restaurant and the lamb and beef curries were always prepared the day before.

littlechilie

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Good point Livo, but would this not be down to the time they take to cook more than allowing the flavours to develop? I'm sure it would not be practical to start cooking a bulk lamb or Beef curry two hours before service.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:40 AM »
Just like in a BIR, the Sri Lankans used pre-cooked meats and gravies so the time to actually cook the final dishes was not the main consideration.  The day before preparation wasn't simply for speed. Flavour development was a big factor in doing this.  The restaurant in question was run by a Sri Lankan family but they did serve standard Indian dishes as well.

I have always found that red meat dishes like stews, casseroles and curries always develop a more rounded and full flavour after a rest period.  This is also noticed by people who didn't cook it so the lazy palate idea is not necessarily a factor although it may well contribute and probably does.

littlechilie

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 07:37 AM »
Thanks Livo that's a detailed explanation, your wife must also be able to cook some knock out dishes! Your a lucky man.

I have been watching a good few Delhi/Mumbai street food documentaries of late and it's interesting to note lots of the stall holders are all up at 5-6 am producing these fabulous lam-beef curries. Along with a wide verity of rice,bean and vegetable dishes.

The dishes are then kept hot or cooled for the morning or lunch street service, I would love to be able to spend a couple of weeks alongside these fantastic hardworking people.

Thanks.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 08:01 AM »
Unfortunately my wife was mainly wait staff, not kitchen although she did help out. However, she did learn a lot there and on top of that she was an exchange student to Sri Lanka for 12 months living with a host family in Colombo. The family network connections was how she got the job back here.  We enjoy many different styles of food, which I prepare mostly as she is simply too busy.

©2024 Curry Recipes