Author Topic: The Glasgow base update  (Read 20100 times)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Glasgow base update
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:05 AM »
My old boss Mr Singh has left has now been taken over from the Cafe India chain of restaurants in Glasgow...The base now has some minor changes,the biggest being, a base with no visible signs of oil...Below is video of how they achieve this.....previously after i blended my base i would put it back on the heat again for the oil to seperate but there is no need ..The separation occurred earlier on in the process,so there is no need to start the process again, as explained to me by the cafe india chefs...The biggest complain from costumers in any takeaway is an oily curry...This method will guarantee no more oily currys......Sorry guys i'm not being ignorant or anything but i don't reply to my posts,, email only

Boaby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVdn2W1g1k
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:23 PM by bigboaby1 »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Glasgow base update
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:20 PM »
looks so good
thanks for posting

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Nice to see someone standing up for non-oily curries.

Some on here would have you believe that if it doesn't have a slick around it, it isn't properly cooked.

:)

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Hi Boaby, many thanks for posting the video it looks great and I much appreciate the video work.

I'm following you on the tube so any uploaded showing those fantastic looking currys would be a great bonus.   ;)
Regards LC.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:13 PM by littlechilie »

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:49 AM »
Alex - nice to see someone cooking like us mate

best, Rich

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:32 PM »
A real positive development.  I'll definitely be following this one - and trying it out.
Well done. Al

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Nice to see someone standing up for non-oily curries.

Except they're not are they?

The base is cooked in such a way that the added oil is mixed back into the sauce so you can't see it. And the curries are started with oil in the normal manner.

This is just a takeaway trick so that they don't have to bear the cost of disposing of excess oil.

Personally I'd rather have a slick which I can choose to remove or not rather than all that oil being hidden!

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:21 PM »
I get why people would be put off by seeing a layer of oil on top of their curry but what, (from a chefs point of view) is so important about seeing the oil separation when making a base?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 12:13 AM »
MM, from my understanding the oil separation indicates that the onions have cooked completely, given up all their water and it is time to move to the next step in the recipe.

I agree with SS about the oil. I'd rather be able to see it and avoid if desired, although I have to say that it looks a good gravy and those dishes prepared in the photo are very nice to see.

In viewing the video I also noticed a few of BB's others. The precooked meat and chicken look good and I'll be giving his Rogan Josh a try.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 12:42 AM »
MM, from my understanding the oil separation indicates that the onions have cooked completely, given up all their water and it is time to move to the next step in the recipe.

I agree with SS about the oil. I'd rather be able to see it and avoid if desired, although I have to say that it looks a good gravy and those dishes prepared in the photo are very nice to see.

In viewing the video I also noticed a few of BB's others. The precooked meat and chicken look good and I'll be giving his Rogan Josh a try.

The combination of pre cooked meats & their liquid also do away with the need for oil &  powdered spices at dish  cooking stage,
much like the Ashoka Banjara that's been on here for years livo

Regards
ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes