Author Topic: The Glasgow base update  (Read 20204 times)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Glasgow base update
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:05 AM »
Cheers guys. People always say things like "I could tell it was cooked because the oil had seperated" etc. I always thought that was a bit barmy because oil floats on water whatever but I can see how there may be an element of truth in it.

I always add my oil as the baghaar at the end of cooking and therefore have never realised an association between cooked onions and risen oil. I also use relatively little oil - maybe this is a mistake...

All the best

MM

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 10:13 AM »
There are no mistakes, only variations.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 11:45 AM »
What I mean is maybe if I used more oil I'd get a tastier curry. :-)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Again guys thanks for the encouraging comments . ...Regards alex

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 12:45 AM »
On the off chance that you can answer a question BB, the chili you use in the video appears to be quite pale in colour, more orange rather than red. What type is it? I would usually use just "Red Chili powder" or "Kashmiri" as these are all I have?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 04:19 AM »
If anybody is interested in trying a reduced quantity of this base I have done a ratio conversion to allow a small batch to be cooked in a 2 litre (7") saucepan.  This will probably yield about 1.5 litres of base, so enough to make a few different dishes for a single nights feed. I'm cooking it now so I don't know the yield yet.  You can fix the spelling mistake yourself if you want.

Attached word document.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12 AM »
You can fix the spelling mistake yourself if you want.

Livo, if you use the "modify" option retrospectively, you can remove unwanted attachments and add new ones, thus allowing you to effectively correct typos in attachments.  I've made the corrections in the attached, and also added one or two requests for clarification.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:43 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Thanks phil. Without going to your effort, (sorry very tired as I've had to split logs for firewood).

Yes, capsicum is green pepper, but the video showed the use of yellow bell pepper. We call them capsicum and only distinguish them by colour, either green or yellow or red.  Any will do. I used green.

Again, the video showed the use of block coconut cream.  I would use either block cream, or a liquid cream. I used block today.

From video chili is powder.  I used normal Red but I have asked bigboaby1 about this, as the one shown  in the video was a very orange colour. See post above.

And yes, I reduced the salt level so you are correct in detecting this anomaly.  You could use the extra if you wish but I tend to reduce salt where possible.

I would add here that this yielded about 1.2 litres of very nice base gravy. I cooked it with a lid on and had to add a little extra water at 3/4 time even though I shortened the whole process to only 3 hours, not 4, for reduced quantity.

I've also done a kg of Alex's pre-cooked chicken breast and a batch of his pilau rice (using safflower instead of food colouring) in preparation for tomorrows dinner.  Think I'll do a korma and something else.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:11 AM by livo »

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I cant understand why anyone would try the base again just because its got a bit of water in to hide the oil,remember how it tasted last time,well that is how it is going to taste again.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 10:16 AM »
I've never done it before so I am trying it for the first time, and I would add that I like it anyway after trying it today.  I also have JB's, Chewytikka's and a previous one of my own creation already in the freezer. I'm happy to try this one as well.

Having just read back over all of your posts madpower. I would ask what contribution you have made to any discussion of any version of the Glasgow base. I note that you were in one post critical of JB's base and also mention pots of onions in another, but that is about it. Do share with us your preferred base gravy, or perhaps your own.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:48 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes