Author Topic: The current obsession with so-called "healthy eating"  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
The current obsession with so-called "healthy eating"
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:55 AM »

I have a rather nice set of (inexpensive) "Ernesto"

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The current obsession with so-called "healthy eating"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:07 PM »
But you don't need to use much oil/fat when frying in a good non-stick pan do you?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:24 PM »
But you don't need to use much oil/fat when frying in a good non-stick pan do you?

If you want (e.g.,) your fried eggs to taste right, then yes, you do.  You need enough dripping to brown the edges of the white and to be able to ladle off to baste the yolk.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16 PM »
You know as well as I do, Phil, it's to stop stupid people taking legal action against them for getting fat(ter)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Best of Luck with the ceramic coating Phil.  Worked ok for the first dozen or so uses....

Regards

Mick

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:34 PM »
Best of Luck with the ceramic coating Phil.  Worked ok for the first dozen or so uses....
Mine is still looking 100%, Mick, and I have had them for at least two years now, including a period when we had none-too-careful housesitters (cut marks in worktop, despite plethora of cutting boards).  I have found the ILAG

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:26 PM »
I fry my eggs in minimal oil, to brown the bottoms, but put a lid on to whiten/cook the tops a bit in the steam

Suppose they are a fried/poached hybrid, but I prefer them like that.  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 06:12 PM »
Yes, we had oil-fried eggs during a recent trip to the West Country and South Wales, but you could tell straight away that they'd been fried in oil and not in beef dripping, and they just didn't taste as good.  Go on, spoil yourself -- try a couple (free-range, of course) fried in more-than-adequate beef dripping and tell me whether they doesn't taste twice as good !

** Phil.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 11:24 PM »
No thanks Phil, I'm very happy with the taste of my fried eggs (non free range).

Guess my tastes have changed, I was bought up on Eggs fried in fat as a kid. Now I can't stand fatty fried eggs.
Mind they needed all that fat in them days, to stop em sticking, as we didn't have non-stick pans in our house then.

But each to there own as they say though.

Out of interest, do you fry your bacon in loads of fat too?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 11:44 PM »
This is all part of the demonization of "fats".  Not all fats are evil, as was recently discussed in another thread.  Try telling the indigenous people of the Arctic region that fat is bad for them.  The real problem in diet is sugar. I ignore, no actually avoid, food with labels, that say "low fat", "no fat" or "less fat".  I also don't eat cakes or sticky buns, sweet biscuits, ice creams, chocolates or sweets other than on rare special occasions.  I will occasionally eat fruit pies with fresh full fat cream and I do have a few pieces of soft eating liquorice most evenings. Studies have shown that full cream milk is better for you that skim, real butter is better for you than GM margarines (yellow grease), oily fish is good, etc.  The fake "healthy" choices may contain less fat, but they also contain far less nutrient value as well, and they leave you feeling hungry which simply means you are going to either starve yourself, rely on supplement pills for nutrition or be forced to eat more of it anyway.

Eating healthy levels of the right fats prevents hunger.  Carbohydrates cause hunger and addiction cravings.  FACT.

Phil, I love my FRIED eggs cooked in the fat of the accompanying bacon and sausages, and yes, with the browned edges. Beef dripping is actually quite difficult to get out here as it just isn't kept in the stores in any quantity.  I remember when real dripping was replaced with Supafry which was sold as "clarified fat" whatever that is.  When I make scrambled eggs I always add a good big dollop of real (and salted) butter to the pan first. I always put in some full cream milk and usually a good amount of grated full fat tasty cheddar cheese as well.  I serve it for myself on buttered toast and enjoy it with full cream milk in my unsweetened coffee.  My wife and daughters remove the rind and fat from their bacon so I get to eat extra.

My total fasting lipids count has never been over 4.2 mmol/L and recently, in 3 blood tests over a 6 month period it was 3.3, 3.1 and 3.0.  Under 5.0 is recommended, 5.5 is considered a risk and 6.5 is in the dangerous area.

Trans-fats are a different thing altogether and a whole other subject of concern alone.  In Australia it is not common to use or access Shortening or "Crisco" as the Americans call it.  The obesity capitol of the world but rapidly other countries are closing the gap.

Oh, the non stick ceramic pans.  Throw the packet out and get some plain boxes and write your own instructions on them. "To use this pan use good amount of hot beef dripping and fry eggs as desired".

©2024 Curry Recipes