Author Topic: Chicken Biryani & Tikka Masala  (Read 9529 times)

littlechilie

Re: Chicken Biryani & Tikka Masala
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 11:37 PM »
It's a fine ground mix Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 11:50 PM »
And yet the rice, in parts at least, remains pure white.  When I have tried pulao or biryani mixes in the past, they have always had a disastrous effect on the rice colouration; is it clear to you, LC, why the Laziza mix does not seem to have this deleterious effect ?

** Phil.

littlechilie

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09 AM »
Hey Phil, the rice should stay pretty much white throughout the whole process, it not down to the mix powder, but more the cooking style that will mess up your rice.

I coloured the rice yellow with milk infused saffron to keep it traditional, but if your rice is picking up colour from the sauce then it's to thin. The only way to cook a traditional biryani without burning the thick sauce and chicken on the bone is to use a very thick based pot and a low heat.
Hope this helps.

LC.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 06:25 AM »
Nice effort on the Biriyani, it's not the easiest dish to get spot on at home. I've used one of Vahchef's traditional one-pot recipes and found I first undercooked the chicken, then overcooked the rice. The rice I use almost needs no pre-cooking.

Have you had a look at this version? I've been meaning to have a go for ages.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5185.msg50835.html#msg50835

littlechilie

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for the link Fried, trouble is with mutton the cooking time is unpredictable so I'm not sure I would be happy following the recipe to spec but it looks interesting.

Been making Biryani for a few years and have to admit I had some disasters in my early attempts  ;D 

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Precooked meat must surely be the way forward

Regards

Mick

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Keys to a perfect biryani.

High flame to start things off then very low throughout.
A completely sealed lid.
A thick bottom pot or sit it inside a large frying pan.
Meat tenderiser for mutton.
Assemble in layers (rice on top) and Never stir in the pot.
Take out portions as you would a shepherds pie, lasagne etc. (Use a long spatula)

littlechilie

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Great explanation DalPuri I start my meat off on a high heat to get it started or browned.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Hey Phil, the rice should stay pretty much white throughout the whole process, it not down to the mix powder, but more the cooking style that will mess up your rice.

So your Laziza spice mix is intended to be added to the meat, not the rice ?  That would indeed make a considerable difference.  The biryani/pulao mixes which I have used were intended to be added to the rice, which is the difference and the cause of the discolouration in my case.  My rice technique is failsafe !

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Another good tip I read for when to turn the heat down (instead of relying on a clock) is to put your ear close to the pot and listen. The sound will change from a frying sizzle to a hissing steam.

Careful though if you're on gas. This ain't a singe and burn dish!  :D

©2024 Curry Recipes