Author Topic: Chicken Madras  (Read 10039 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:13 AM »
I made this tonight. I had a takeaway last weekend which included a chicken madras. It made me realise that I had lost sight a little on the flavour of this curry from my local. It was quite a light kind of flavour but with good heat and lip burn. So this weekend I decided to try and replicate the taste. I kept the recipe very simple and reduced the amounts of mix powder, g/g paste and tomato puree I have been using. I also only used a small amount of fresh coriander and lemon dressing. I have to say that it is the closest I have got to my local takeaway madras.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51 PM »
That does look very nice, SR. It's crying out for a naan dunked into that sauce.

Good stuff as always :)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:34 AM »
Looks lovely. It seems the use of little and in some cases no spice is producing good results for those who dare to try it!

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Looks delicious SR.  Can I ask which recipe you used to create the Madras and what the level of reduction was in spice mix, tom puree etc.  I'd like to give this a try at the weekend!
Best
Al

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33 AM »
that looks spot on to me - and is making me rather peckish - 9:30am isn't too early for a curry is it? :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Looks like a Madras
A little bit of this and a little bit of that, usually works most of the time ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01 PM »
looks yummy :)

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Love Madras  ;D

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for all your nice comments guys.

Al the recipe is as follows

2 TBS oil heat on medium flame, then add g/g paste and sizzle for a bit then add 1 tsp diluted tomato puree. Wait until the sizzle dies away then add 3/4 tsp of mix powder and 1.5 tsp deggi mirch and the same of kashmiri mirch. Mix well and loosen with a touch of base and singe fry. Add about 150ml of base and reduce a bit on high heat. Add precook chicken then a squirt of lemon dressing and a pinch of salt to taste. Mix well. Add a pinch of finely chopped fresh coriander and then a further 150-200 ml of base gravy. On with the lid and reduce for about 3-5 minutes until sauce is a consistency of your preference. Scoff straight away with rice and/or naan. 

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Thanks for the recipe and 'method' SR.  As someone who has always added the tomato puree after the spice mix powder it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference in flavor, consistency etc.  Do you find it makes a difference or is it purely procedural?

Best
Al

©2024 Curry Recipes