Author Topic: Onions, onions and more onions  (Read 8698 times)

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
Onions, onions and more onions
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Hi chaps, been a while since I've been on - but ready to try again (sigh) on the quest.
My first Request I'm after ( there will be more I'm sure) is onions.
I don't like a curry with no sweetness and a true base should have sweetness come from the onions not from having to add sugar or sweetener etc - I've made my first batch of base in ages using mild Dutch onions (the big ones that normally come in threes in smkts) and there was no sweetness at all.... So....
What success have you had with different onions (red, std, large mild, cheap)? Does how you cut them make a difference in relation to sweetness - can they all go sweet and it's down to technique? or are some just sweeter than others?? your experience would be appreciated.

littlechilie

Re: Onions, onions and more onions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:12 PM »
Hi daveeb I can't recommend Jb's base gravy enough, it's tried and tested and the go to base for many members. He was informed at the time if I remember the type of onions make no difference but white onions are standard in BIR base gravy.

Here is the link for you. If you follow this to the letter you can't go wrong.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13136.msg107716/topicseen.html#msg107716
Let us know how you get along.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:59 PM »
HI Daveb,Always use the onions I buy from the Indian market.They're Dutch,sweet and easy peel.We use them for everything ,although we use large Spanish in cheese/onion cobs.Good luck Geoffbrick

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Just out of interest all my onions come from Aldi, the four large ones in an orange net! I have always found them perfect for gravy.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Ive been getting my onions from the Indian store, 4kg sack normally, but they sell larger sacks.
English class II, you do get some bad ones in there occasionly but they do the job well

littlechilie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 12:37 PM »
My local Store has just started selling sacks of onions Andy, think I will try them out for a change! I have brought bulk onions many times from the market, but like you I find a lot of rejects hiding in the nets.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Lidl's Oakland (Dutch) onions are particularly bad at the moment - soft, squidgy and loosely-packed skins from the outer to the core.

I just made a new batch of JB's base the other day and it took 3.5kg unpeeled onions to get a usable 1.5kg for the pot. Not brilliant, although the resulting gravy turned out OK.

Slightly off-topic, but not unconnected, I bought some of Lidl's onions last time I was in France and they turned out to be Australian onions. Exactly the same thin-skinned type as you would buy out of Coles etc!

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Hi Naga, I now don't use lidl to shop in but remember they used to sell bulk sacks of onions, these were always good quality and price!
Don't really know why they stopped the supply?

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 01:17 PM »
The big sacks of Onions are one of Lidls specials (like XL week), so not available every week.

littlechilie

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 03:43 PM »
Thanks for that Info Martinvic, I may go and inquire when they will return  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes