Author Topic: BIR Cookery lessons  (Read 12422 times)

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
BIR Cookery lessons
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Just got this email from Julian. It may interest some.

So what?s New?
Those of you that follow me on Facebook & Twitter may already be aware that myself and Adey have joined forces in a new venture, the: - ?British Indian Restaurant Cooking Academy?
This was the brain child of Adey Payne who collaborated with me on my eBook- ?The Secret to That Takeaway Curry Taste Part 2. Adey is also Head Chef and owner of ?Fusion? Indian restaurant in Alford Lincolnshire.
Adey having held a few curry cooking classes saw that there is a huge interest amongst BIR curry enthusiasts to take their curry cooking to the next level and get some real hands on experience and tuition in the preparation and cooking of BIR food. There is presently also a demand from professional Chefs (and those who wish to become such) to get a more comprehensive training in the running and operation of a BIR Kitchen.
With Adey and myself having experience in running various BIR curry businesses we decided to put our heads together and come up with something that would firstly; interest those wishing to simply get some hands on tuition and experience to help them get that edge with their curry cooking and secondly cater to those looking at gaining a more comprehensive knowledge of BIR cooking and setting up their own Business- hence the ?British Indian Restaurant Cooking Academy? was born.

So, what?s on offer?

1 Day Course- ?BRITISH INDIAN RESTAURANT COOKING FUNDAMENTALS?
This one day content rich course is divided up into 5 parts, looking at everything from the, ?key essential ingredients in the BIR Kitchen, to Base Gravy, pre-cooking of the meats, to curry cooking and techniques. Each student will get hands on one to one tuition from myself and Adey. The day will end with a concluding talk and Q&A session.
Cost: ?145 per person. This price includes lunch (guess what?s for lunch?) students will also receive an apron and laminated course folder, both of which they get to take home. Also, attendees will get to take their ?creations? home in microwaveable containers (so guess what?s for tea?) Both Adey & I believe this course represents excellent value for money in that attendees will effectively get the experience knowledge and know-how of two experienced BIR Chefs- myself & Adey.
This one day course is unique in that there are no other courses like this being offered anywhere!

3 Day Course- ?BRITISH INDIAN RESTAURANT COOKING INTERMEDIATE COURSE?
This 3 full days course takes a more in depth look at various different dishes including rice preparations, starters and side dishes. As above, all meals are provided. The student is also supplied with an apron, laminated work book and class notes which they get to take home with them.
Cost: ?440 per person

Other Courses we are planning:

1 Day Course in Authentic Vegetarian Indian Cuisine - ?145

3 Day Tandoori Course- ?440*

6 Day Professional BIR Chef Intensive Course- ?800*
(Details about these other courses will be supplied upon request)
*Please note; on the 3 & 6 day courses accommodation can be provided at very low rates:) For more information about any of the courses mentioned in this Newsletter or to register your interest in any course, please send your enquiry to; birca.fusion@gmail.com

?Bring a Buddy? discount of 10% offered to both attendees!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Cookery lessons
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:41 PM »
That's the funniest thing I've heard since George Osborne's 'One Nation' budget ????

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I've got respect for someone who's set up his own restaurant and cooking BIR food, must have taken a lot of hard work and money. If that's funny then at least I made someone laugh.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Not trying to belittle either of said gentlemen, my friend. But if their BIR business was a success, I doubt they would have the need, or the time, to embark on this kind of venture.

I'm sure they have a lot to offer to complete novices to BIR cooking, but I don't think there will be many of our members who feel the need to fork out considerable sums of money to learn what has been made freely available on this forum (at least not now goncalo has left).

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I would love to take a BIR cookery lesson, but I would want to learn from someone born and bred in the sub-continent who has an innate understanding of the techniques involved and of the contribution that each and every spice, herb and other ingredient can make.  Failing that, I think I could learn a very great deal from Mick Crawford ("Curry Barking Mad"); I am not convinced that I would get value for money studying under Adey and Julian, no matter how competent they may be.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:19 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:10 PM »
I'm not sure if someone 'born and bred in the sub-continent' would have an innate understanding of BIR, Phil. As you well know, it is a very different cuisine from traditional dishes.

But I understand the sentiment :)  Someone from a heritage of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, who has been brought up to know how 'British' people prefer their curries would be preferable to the alternative suggested below.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Spam, scam, ask Haldi how much he "learnt" and how much money he wasted.
Everything A#$+ can teach was learnt on here, but you can learn all for free

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:23 PM »
I'm not sure if someone 'born and bred in the sub-continent' would have an innate understanding of BIR, Phil. As you well know, it is a very different cuisine from traditional dishes.
Sigh.  I wrote "an innate understanding of the techniques involved and of the contribution that each and every spice, herb and other ingredient can make"; I did NOT write "an innate understanding of BIR".  Someone born and bred (etc) with an innate understanding (etc) could, I am certain, very rapidly familiarise themselves with the modified techniques used to produce BIR cuisine; we who have the major disadvantage of not having been born and bred in the sub-continent may be able to produce a passable facsimile of one or more BIR dishes, but will we ever be able to understand exactly /why/ it works, and what effect a small change (addition / deletion / modification) might have without experiment ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:17 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

littlechilie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:41 PM »
I'm guessing if you walked in to your local BIR and offered them

Offline GulfExpat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:16 PM »

THIS fascinates me. HOW and WHERE DID BIR arise?

It is a remarkable evolutionary step if there are no strong links to traditional dishes.

The food is simply incredible.

©2024 Curry Recipes