Author Topic: Up-to-date curry info  (Read 2924 times)

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
Up-to-date curry info
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Hi peeps,

It's been a while since I last visited this forum with a vengeance, due to the other half going off curry when she was preggers five years ago.

I have dabbled on occasion, making an impromptu base on the fly and it has been ok.

I bought mick crawford's ebook and have only just got round to seriously testing out the recipes and methods in there. I am quite impressed really! Easy to follow and some nice meals had out of it.
However, has mick done any updates to it(I think Mick posts on here)? It also hasn't got a balti recipe, so I want to have a go at one.

To me balti is rather like mick's madras recipe but with more prominent aromatics, ie aniseed or fennel seed, cinnamon etc, but not so much to overload the olfactory senses.

Anyway, what are the most upto date or recomened methods, recipes etc please chaps?

I note that most of mick's mains use the same method- hot oil, fry garlic for a minute, add tomato pur?e, fry then add spices, cook, add meat and gravy, reduce.  It seems to work nicely.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble.

Ta

Steve

Offline daveyham

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Up-to-date curry info
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Hi Steve
 Mick made a second eBook with more advanced techniques.
Have you got that one ?
Dave.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:15 AM »
As davyham says, Mick has a second book, and there is a recipe for a Chicken Tikka Balti with Mushrooms.

The only problem is that the ingredients list "3 tablespoons of Balti Paste" but a recipe for the 'balti paste' is nowhere to be found.

I haven't made the dish, but I can only assume that the 'balti paste' must be a commercial product.

Don't let that put you off though. Mick has been very helpful in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in touch.

There was a huge thread on Balti some time ago, but nothing was really resolved and the main guys involved in the research and testing don't really post here now. This is the thread link:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12276.msg98763.html#msg98763

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:12 PM »
I note that most of mick's mains use the same method- hot oil, fry garlic for a minute, add tomato pur?e, fry then add spices, cook, add meat and gravy, reduce.  It seems to work nicely.

BHB This to me anyway is standard procedure

Regards

Mick

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Thanks Mick, ordered the latest ebook.

Does anyone have bengali bobs video link? i was reading that he and another had a bad experince with kushi training and spent the day with another chef and took some vids.  I'd love to see them.

Ta peeps,

Steve

©2024 Curry Recipes