Author Topic: Exploring BIR  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Onions and Garlic

• Chef
    • View Profile
Exploring BIR
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Hi All,
Having stumbled upon this excellent site recently, I have tried one base and a couple of recipes. Which of course brought on questions.
1. As this is BIR are the recipes defaulted to serve 1 person?
2. I tried ChewyTikka's 3 hour / pressure cooker base which I thought gave me a good result. I have since realised it is relatively old and wondered what you spice kings, curry masters, Jedi and Admins are using currently as a base. Chewy, what are you using as a base?
3. When a recipe mentions chilli powder is this dried and ground chillis or is it the chilli powder mix I would expect to use in a chilli con carne?
4. Given we are all experimenting with fresh ingredients and blending different spices why is there frequent reference to a shop bought mix? Why use Tesco curry powder when we all have the spices in our cupboard to produce a decent garam masala?
Erm, I think that's it for the time being!

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring BIR
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Hi and welcome. I'll try to answer your queries.

1. Recipes on here tend to be for one portion unless otherwise stated
2. Chilli powder is normally dried and ground chillies (either with or without seeds included). Mix used to make chilli con carne would not be used in BIR cuisine
3. Chewy 3 hour base is still one of the better bases and a good place to start. Don't get distracted by some of the self promoters on here
4. Shop bought curry powder will have many more spices in than you can stock your spice shelf with, often in relatively tiny proportions. In BIR cooking it's normally mixed with additional turmeric, cumin and coriander (amongst others) to boost the proportions of those spices, which are the most important for BIR. However the lesser spices in the curry powder still contribute significantly to the overall flavour.

Offline Onions and Garlic

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Hi Sverige, I was beginning to wonder if it was actually worth posting anything on this site. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:39 AM »
You may get a quicker response if you ask a question and send a photo off a yorkshire pudding,its not the best place for the bir enthusiast i think they have give up on this place.

They are a bunch of delia smiths rather than madhur jaffreys on here,its becoming rare for anyone to even talk about curry let alone post a recipe,

the admin does not care who posts what as long as there are posts ,its all about the advertising revenue maybe.

my uncle is a member of ex member corianders site,they are a friendly bunch on there and will go out of their way to help you.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:33 PM by madpower »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:25 PM »
my uncle is a member of ex member corianders site,they are a friendly bunch on there and will go out of their way to help you.

I had been feeling a bit depressed (too much to do, too little time) until I read this, but I have to say that last part really had me rolling on the floor laughing.  Thank you for making my day, Madpower, and may the delusions stay with you !

** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23 PM »

What a strange comment  :o. I look in now and again at the other place and really it has nothing new on there either. Its just doing the stuff that's been on here for years, oh and awarding people awards for some ones elses mix powder because that persons membership had lapsed  ::)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Hi Sverige, I was beginning to wonder if it was actually worth posting anything on this site. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hi, you're welcome.

Please don't feel discouraged. You know, people here are mostly very friendly and willing to help , but like all long running forums there can be a kind of "compassion fatigue" which sets in after the first 10,000 or so new member introduction posts, which leads to the forum regulars not always replying to, or even reading the "new member introductions board". I know I'm guilty of that so I can't judge others who didn't reply to your questions.

My top tip would be to post your questions in the dedicated boards of the site and ignore troublemakers who may have replied to this thread looking to stir up problems. Welcome once again and I hope you stick around and become a regular member.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34 PM »

Very strange comment indeed  :o especially as I never seem to get the desired answers or help when I post on hitlers shite

oh and awarding people awards for some ones elses mix powder because that persons membership had lapsed  ::)

Yep well done to littlechili for that win, congratulations mate

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:12 PM by Madrasandy »

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:35 PM »
...and welcome to the forum oag  :)

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:28 AM »
It seems to me you hate that site madrasandy,so why post there and not here,very strange indeed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:10 AM by madpower »

©2024 Curry Recipes