Author Topic: Tonight's tea  (Read 6589 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Tonight's tea
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Made a few dishes for tonight's dinner.Not my usual full blown feast,it still took a bit of time to prepare and cook.I made chicken tikka,chicken tikka pathia,sag aloo,aloo massala and some pilau rice.

Aloo massala...

Sag aloo...

Chicken tikka pathia...

Everything was spot on,taste wise and aroma it wouldn't have been out of place served in a restaurant,my guest certainly thought so as well.The house smelt like a BIR,espcially when I returned home after work,the curry cooking did overload my senses,I couldn't really smell much when I was cooking it.It was better than some of the less than average food I seem to get these days from certain places.

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's tea
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Looks fantastic!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Would be interested in seeing a video of you cooking any one of those dishes because form the look of them you have BIR cooking down to a fine art.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Excellent jb, looks fantastic. Are you still using your base as posted?
Have you been back into the restaurant yet?
Could scoff that right now with a big fat garlic naan to mop up  :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:22 PM »
You certainly haven't lost your touch Jason  ;)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Hi jb If these dishes tastes as good as they look and I'm sure they will do a bet they are really good
BIR at its best
Regards Bob

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:10 AM »
That's a mean spread, JB. Everything looks absolutely spot-on and totally delicious! :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Thanks guys,it certainly went down a treat,we scoffed the lot.It certainly did use the restaurant base.I also used the restaurant massala paste,if you like massala give it a try.The tikka was Abdul's original recipe.Still the best tikka recipe I've got,much better than most of the bland stuff I seem to buy these days.

Still trying to get back to the restaurant when I have the time,I have been back but the Manager isn't there at the moment,although his replacement was very impressed with the photos I showed him.

I'm more than happy with the curries I cook now.Unless someone can come up with something revolutionary or magical that curry chefs use(I very much doubt it) I'll stick with what I know,my curries are definetely as good,and in some cases better than some of the places I use.Everything you need is here on the forum(for free).I tend to leave my curries bubbling away for quite a while on the hob,far longer than I used to,that's how I've seen most BIR chefs do it.Don't stir the curries much,just let the residue build up on the side and scrape that back in.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 01:57 PM »
I tend to leave my curries bubbling away for quite a while on the hob,far longer than I used to,that's how I've seen most BIR chefs do it.Don't stir the curries much,just let the residue build up on the side and scrape that back in.

I've found the same. I leave it a lot longer, and use more liquid. Interesting with regard to the other thread about frying vs boiling chilli powder, I find it reduces the heat, but gives a more rounded taste. I've probably doubled my cooking time (with base added) since I began. Lovely looking scan by the way.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:39 PM »

I tend to leave my curries bubbling away for quite a while on the hob,far longer than I used to,that's how I've seen most BIR chefs do it.Don't stir the curries much,just let the residue build up on the side and scrape that back in.

Guess this leaving it to cook without stirring means the bottom of the curry against the pan surface is caramelising a little, giving a flavour boost when you stir it all together at the end.

©2024 Curry Recipes