Author Topic: Pressure Cooked Boiled Rice  (Read 2556 times)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Pressure Cooked Boiled Rice
« on: December 02, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Just spent a pleasant tea time in the kitchen cooking up my favorite chicken curry [the Darth`s base KD combo] and I thought I would try cooking my rice in the pressure cooker.
What a result ! perfect rice,no stodge or grains stuck together and 8oz rice cooked in only 4Min's! I know a lot of you guys are doing more exotic types of rice but if you just want plain boiled rice it`s ideal.......... ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Cooked Boiled Rice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Mike, I will let byou into a little secret.....  a lot of Asian home cooks do the same  ::)  But as you have done, you need to get it exactly right timing and volumes wise.

Well done!
CP

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:28 PM »

Can you still add spices such as Star Anise, Cassia Bark e.c.t. in a steamer without losing any flavour.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:50 PM »
Yes you can, but I suggest you soak them a little while in warm water first and add them and their water to the rice water.  If you prefer to fry your spices first (Bargar) then do so and add them and the oil.  Becareful with the quantities though, as the cooking process can make the flavours quite intense.  As always experiment and trust in your trip.

Another tip if you pressure cook; watch out for the amount of salt you use, you probbably should use none or at least half your usual quantity.  Oh, and if you are making Saffron rice or just using a colouring agent then make sure you mix with a little warm water and soak for a while and then add this to the rice water; just make sure you keep to the original volume of fluid.

CP

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 05:26 PM »

thanks very much for the advice Chili.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Hi all. The recipe in the pressure cooker book said to use 3 pints of boiling water and 8oz
of rice because the froth that comes from the rice can block the vent in the lid. I should imagine as you say CP you could add things to make your favourite rice so long as you don't overfill the cooker. Also as you have said, uses very little salt.......cheer

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes