Author Topic: Bulking up a BIR curry  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
Bulking up a BIR curry
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Hi, I have a question to ask, I'm cooking some of the brilliant recipes found on here but wish to bulk up so it's not just meat and sauce. So, whats the best way of bulking it up, could I fry extra red onions up and add them at the final stages or similar?

littlechilie

Re: Bulking up a BIR curry
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Hi Pugs, bulk cooking just like staff curry or precooked chicken, rather than removing the chicken you will be incorporating the whole thing into one tasty dish! I think Chewy Tikka has pointed out before it's very like BIR but not the same!

I also use base gravy so mine is very BIR, but the stock from the meat will alter the taste ! Giving it a slight traditional taste combined with the BIR ingredients.

Yep lots of precooked meats call for onions so that's just fine if you start the dish with them. I add quarters of toms, at the end for bulk! But if it's under 4 portions you need, well I would just cook them individual.
Cheers. LC.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:31 PM by littlechilie »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Chef & owner told me last week he wont cook more than 2 savoury curry dishes in the one pan when supplying & topping up his standard buffet for consistency of flavour. He just adds to it from single or double portions when needed.
He does do larger batches of korma / chasni, which require less "flavouring of the pan" . An English style tikka masala could also be done like this, but tm here in Glasgow is more often savoury than sweet. He sometime makes 5 or six curry dishes at a time when busy, so bulking for buffet is not really an issue for him.

For catering size portions he uses big pots, which end up good but different than the bir single portions.

Apart from garam masala, he never uses mix powders or powdered chilli in a dish as he reckons they are  too harsh / hot & lack flavour when cooked in 10 mins or so.

I never had much success bulking up bir dishes,  so after what he told me I wont bother now.
Regards

ELW
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:02 PM by ELW »

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Hi Pugs

Im not sure of your question. Are you asking

1.how to "bulk out" a dish with extra ingredients
or are you asking how to
2. bulk cook for more than one person?

If its as I suspect question 1, I often add extra of what I like/can get my hands on/what needs using up in my dishes, although I suppose for example a chicken bhuna with extra onions might not be classed as a bhuna to the purists, although there are always regional variations.

If its question 2, Im sure you will be able to find many threads on this subject on the forum

Best Regards

Mick

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Yeah sorry guys I mean bulking out a dish with extra ingredients....such as, up here a Madras dish often has onions and is not just chicken & a smooth sauce

©2024 Curry Recipes