Author Topic: Induction Hob if on electric...  (Read 18073 times)

Offline Chillyheat

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Induction Hob if on electric...
« on: August 08, 2015, 09:19 PM »
I had been making my own curries for some time on a standard electric halogen hob. The resulting curries never really had that taste. Electric hobs are probably a no-no but having recently switched our hob to an induction one, the resulting curries are turning out fantastic. The high heat it generates is working wonders. So, if anyone is stuck with electricity for cooking, I recommend switching to an induction hob.
 :)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Induction Hob if on electric...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:19 PM »
HI CH,when we moved house we left the gas cooker And bought a pricy AEG,from Currys(naturally).All singing and dancing,no it isn't.Does exactly as your halogen hob.Bought an induction hob,great(right pans needed).Plenty heat,can't fault it.Find it useful,as I can move it around the kitchen,May get another one :) :).Good luck with your curries.
Cheers Geoffbrick

Offline Cummo22

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48 AM »
I'm using induction but what are the best pans to use?.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02 AM »
After a fair bit of trial and error I settled on a  stonewear or stoneline wok with a flat bottom. It also has a glass lid which comes in handy. Not sure of the exact brand as I'm not at home.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Aldi recently did a very good value 24cm ceramic pan (
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:53 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Good spot Phil
I'm changing to induction soon and will need a curry pan  :)

Offline Alastair Sim

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Hi Phil,
I was about to post something in this area as my good lady wants to update the kitchen and migrate towards induction as is much easier to clean than the old gas hob.

[1] Heavy forged aluminium body with non-stick ceramic coating; comfortable soft touch Bakelite handle; suitable for use on all hobs, including induction; available in three colours.

Aluminium pans will not work on induction hobs directly, they need to be made from a ferrous metal (iron). You can only aluminium if you place them on a ferromagnetic disk.

AS

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Hi Phil,
I was about to post something in this area as my good lady wants to update the kitchen and migrate towards induction as is much easier to clean than the old gas hob.

[1] Heavy forged aluminium body with non-stick ceramic coating; comfortable soft touch Bakelite handle; suitable for use on all hobs, including induction; available in three colours.

Aluminium pans will not work on induction hobs directly, they need to be made from a ferrous metal (iron). You can only aluminium if you place them on a ferromagnetic disk.

True if the pan is made solely of aluminium, Alastair, but many modern "aluminium" pans have ferromagnetic inserts in the base for this very reason; mine is one such, and I would gladly replace all of my earlier stainless steel frying pans with these new ceramic/aluminium pans as they are so much lighter and therefore far more convenient to use.

** Phil.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40 PM »
I have a number of different pans that I use on the induction hob. Circulon are our everyday pans but curries etc. are normally done in one of our Le Creuset pans. Cast iron are brilliant for browning onions.

Offline Alastair Sim

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Hi Phil,

many modern "aluminium" pans have ferromagnetic inserts in the base

That I did not know, do you cook on induction then ?

If so is it something you would recommend, our kitchen needs a refit and I have informed my better half that its not possible to cook curries on anything other than gas.
Cheers
AS

©2024 Curry Recipes