Author Topic: Curry in a hurry  (Read 18234 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Curry in a hurry
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50 PM »
No mention of the quantity of oil then bud. Not very clear at all.

Nope not clear at all, he doesnt strain the spiced oil in the video

I'm sure he thought the 'experts' on here could work out the details for themselves but maybe not

Lol   ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50 PM »
If I'd posted a recipe/method like that, I'd be ridiculed.
Boab, can we have the detailed recipe please?

Actually, you make some fair points. On the one hand, the list of ingredients and the youtube video give a pretty good idea of exactly what to do, l but it would have been useful to have more information written down and/or a voice over (explanation) on the video.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Its always nice to have something new.

Thanks.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26 AM »
This is how I would read it, for what it's worth. 

In step 1, where it says to cook the listed ingredients, you would use your own method of choice, ie; in oil or water, or as I would, using both. You could pre-fry the onions in oil, or not, to vary the flavour to your own preference.

Having accomplished that, the rest of the process is fairly direct.  The consistency of the finished base is another matter of individual preference, and additional water, or not, is to suite your own palate.  I prefer a thicker sauce in my curry so I'd not add any.

I will definitely be trying this ingredient list out and I thank the OP for this rare contribution to a thread other than WFDTJ.  I also support his argument in favour of not freezing.  For a while now I have been scaling down my bases to more "home based" proportions for immediate use.

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Sorry guys my apologies..The video i posted was an edited version.. I should have used the first one with all the info on screen..The one i posted was longer in length with myself demonstrating at curry at the end...I was slightly confused when i seen some of the comments saying it wasn't very clear and couldn't understand why......If you have a look at my first vid,hopefully things should be a lot clearer..link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vKC1DjKyM

Water only in step 1.The description said just cover with water.(VIDEO 1)In step i added about a 1/4 litre of oil to a pot and threw in some aromatic spices cooked for ten minutes and then strained into jug to add later to my base..The sauce is sweet..it's just my preference you can leave out the sugar and mango it's up to yourself, but i love a sweet tasting curry...This video was primarily for any newbies who wanted to try out something simple and easy before buying half a ton of onions and then it all going wrong.then if they like it they can experiment with something a bit bigger It also keeps the cost down..but now i think of it, what chance do the newbies have if the more experience guys have difficult in working it out..The full method is shown below and thanks Phill for your kind words......Boaby
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:51 PM by bigboaby1 »

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 06:46 PM »
This will not be in my EBOOK..it can only be viewed here, and yes yet again another base sauce,sorry guys..This has been scaled down from the 25k takeaway down to 1k that we now use in the takeaway by the new owners..I now cook from fresh and never freeze currys..Ive never been a fan of turning a curry base into a block of ice..I can't recall any takeaways who store their base in that way..To me it's never the same...I made 4 currys from this enough to feed 5 to six people

This sauce has a hint of sweetness which comes from using mango chutney and brown sugar
STEP 1
1 KG ONIONS
2 PLUMMED TOMATOES
A SMALL PIECE OF GREEN PEPPER
1 TSP CUMIN SEEDS
COOK UNTILL SOFT

STEP 2
SPICED OIL
4 CLOVES
2 BAY LEAVES
4 CARDAMON PODS
1 SMALL CINNAMON STICK
1 TABLE SPOON CORIANDER SEEDS CRUSHED
COOK FOR TEN MINUTES AND STRAIN..

STEP 3
ADD THE REMAINING SPICES AND OIL TO THE BASE ONCE REDUCED
1/2 TSP CHILLI POWDER
1 TSP GARAM MASALA
1 TSP TURMERIC
1 TABLE SPOON SALT
1 HEAPED TABLE SPOON OF BROWN SUGAR
1 HEAPED TABLE SPOON MANGO CHUTNEY
1 TABLE SPOON T/PUREE
1 HEAPED TABLE SPOON GARLIC AND GINGER PASTE
2 TABLE SPOONS CREAMED COCONUT
A FEW SQUIRTS OF LEMON JUICE

Full method

Add onions..green pepper..tomatoes and cumin seeds to a pot and cover with water..cook for 1 hour

Next add 1/4 litre of vegetable oil to a separate pot.. add your cinnamon bark cardamon pods cloves coriander seeds and by leaves and cook for ten minutes..strain into a jug and set aside

Once your onion base is cooked or softened add your spice oil and all the remaining spices, condiments etc shown in stage three cook for 30 minutes
The base is ready to blend ...simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes to release some of the oil ...done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvc5CqnwBE
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:05 PM by bigboaby1 »

Offline Mike hunt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 08:21 PM »
 Phil [Chaa006]

Didnt think you would still be on here after going on adeys cookery coarse?

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Sorry phil I think you might be getting mixed up with someone else I'm a chef in takeaway called the taste of India in Glasgow....or if you are suggesting i stole it from someone else...This base has been scaled down from 25K down to 7K then 5k..4k...2k and now we have the 1k..what next Phil the 1/2 k...All the versions are on here to view,,if you think you have one up on me i'm sorry to disappoint you.....so if this guy you call Adey is using on onion base then i'm afraid it has been taken from someone else..i wonder who,but to be honest if he has i'm more than delighted...I introduced this base many years ago, up untill then most people used a vegetable base (garabi) which i used myself for many years..Trends have changed over the last few years with people using a more savoury and flavour'ed base rather than than watered down runny soup base..hopefully i've influenced some along the way...At the moment our book sales are in the region 440,maybe not as good as others, not too bad for someone who was shot down in flames when first introduced,and, still happens...once again Phill sorry if i haven't made your day..your style is not mine ,i'm better than that..cheers bud ..Boaby
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:18 PM by bigboaby1 »

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Rewas Curry in a hurry
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 09:59 PM »
HI Boaby,exiled Scot,living in the Midlands.Have had a word with relatives in Lanark,they love their curries,when they're coming down to stay for few days we're all going to muck in and do this.Watch for the smoke!

Cheers Geoffbrick

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11 PM »
...I'm a chef in takeaway called the taste of India in Glasgow...

Is that the Taste of India in Main St, Ru'glen, Alex?

©2024 Curry Recipes