Author Topic: Curry in a hurry  (Read 18239 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curry in a hurry
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Phil [Chaa006]

Didnt think you would still be on here after going on adeys cookery coarse?

Sorry phil I think you might be getting mixed up with someone else I'm a chef in takeaway called the taste of India in Glasgow....or if you are suggesting i stole it from someone else...This base has been scaled down from 25K down to 7K then 5k..4k...2k and now we have the 1k..what next Phil the 1/2 k...All the versions are on here to view,,if you think you have one up on me i'm sorry to disappoint you.....so if this guy you call Adey is using on onion base then i'm afraid it has been taken from someone else..i wonder who,but to be honest if he has i'm more than delighted...I introduced this base many years ago, up untill then most people used a vegetable base (garabi) which i used myself for many years..Trends have changed over the last few years with people using a more savoury and flavour'ed base rather than than watered down runny soup base..hopefully i've influenced some along the way...At the moment our book sales are in the region 440,maybe not as good as others, not too bad for someone who was shot down in flames when first introduced,and, still happens...once again Phill sorry if i haven't made your day..your style is not mine ,i'm better than that..cheers bud ..Boaby

I think you chaps are confusing me with someone else.  I am the one that first said "thank you" to Bigboaby in this thread, and have no connection with (or had lessons with) Adey whatsoever.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Boaby,

Thanks for the clarification of the recipe/method. I've been thinking of trying a new base for a while and, being from the central lowlands myself, yours could be good.

The only thing I don't understand is the quantities - I have no idea how much base sauce will be produced by the 25k, 10k or 1k recipe. Can you give me a clue, in liquid quantities (preferably litres) how much base is produced from this recipe.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Never had a curry in Scotland so wouldnt know how this base compares, thanks for share though Alex.

Shame Phil, you could have taught those 2 a few things
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:26 PM by Madrasandy »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Never had a curry in Scotland so wouldnt know how this base compares, thanks for share though Alex.

I've unfortunately never had a memorable one in Scotland (apart from one I enjoyed which was poor two months later on my return), after many years and many curry houses of trying but i'm sure there's one somewhere. Nearly tried one of Garps locals about 4 months ago but time (or lack of after a very long day) put the mockers on it. Worst curry I've ever had was in Blairglowrie many many years ago (86?) with a naan that could have been made in a shipyard. :-\

N.B And sitting here having a good think and I don't think I've ever had one in Glasgow (does Paisley count?) for some reason. (or Inverness)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 01:09 PM »

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 01:13 PM »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Decided to give this one a go today as I've been using the same base for the last couple of years.

I'm not sure what to do with it, to be honest. It's very sweet; I think the coconut, mango chutney and sugar is overkill. I also think it is underspiced, as in it doesn't actually smell/taste like the origins of a curry. I'd be tempted to add more basic spices: cumin, coriander and some fenugreek. Drop the sugar and creamed coconut and add a little more tomato.

Still trying to decide whether to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it in a curry. I can see it making a lovely Korma, but can't imagine it in a tomato-based, spicier dish.

Just my opinion and no offence intended :)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 07:21 PM »
Still trying to decide whether to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it in a curry. I can see it making a lovely Korma, but can't imagine it in a tomato-based, spicier dish

Only one way to find out ! ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 07:41 PM »
The one i posted was longer in length with myself demonstrating at curry at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vKC1DjKyM
Boaby
I think it's absolutely fantastic that so many authentic recipes have been posted
Thank you Boaby!

I will give this a go sometime soon

Especially interested in the spiced oil
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:08 PM by haldi »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Still trying to decide whether to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it in a curry. I can see it making a lovely Korma, but can't imagine it in a tomato-based, spicier dish

Only one way to find out ! ;D

Think I'll give it a miss, mate :)

©2024 Curry Recipes