Author Topic: BULK Chicken Ceylon  (Read 3880 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
BULK Chicken Ceylon
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:47 PM »
Here's another bulk curry for you.

Ingredients
15kg Chicken Breast

Offline KINGPRAWNphatia

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BULK Chicken Ceylon
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Hi i dont understand?15kg of chicken is 60 portions,but only 4.5 litres of base?
please help.........

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Looking at Bob's other "BULK" recipes, those proportions seem pretty consistent, so I would be reasonably confident that (a) they are what he intended, and (b) they work in practice -- Bob works in a university kitchen, so knows what he is talking about.

** Phil.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I agree does look low even with all the other liquid. 60 portions of a typical 300ml sauce is 18litres so there's a big disparity? 4.5 litres equates to just 75ml of base per portion?

Ed

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:20 PM »
When cooking in bulk to such a degree as these recipes represent, you can't reduce the base sauce down as far as you can in a small pan containing only a portion or two.  The amount of base Bob is adding might seem low to you, but I bet it is used to provide enough liquid to achieve the right consistency and after cooking out for the requisite time, it will not need topping up with more base as the water lost through evaporation will be much lower (proportionally) than for a smaller batch.

Bulk cooking is a little different like that, and if you wanted to get technical you could calculate the amount of heat energy needed to evaporate 200ml of water from 350ml of base and multiply that energy by 60 to see if it seems reasonable that a commercial cooking range could supply it, or whether Dungeness B has more chance of achieving the feat.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Hi Guys,

To put you out of your misery, we steam the chicken in a professional Rational oven. That amount of chicken produces quite a bit of water, some of which we add to the final dish.

I've also updated this recipe and now mix the coconut milk powder with 2 litres of semi skimmed milk. It gives a more creamy consistency to the coconut milk.

There will be more than enough sauce to go round. Equally if you are selling this on a street food stand you would not get 300ml of sauce on your take away carton. Nearer 150ml. Hope this helps.

Rgds, Bob

©2024 Curry Recipes