Author Topic: Dorset Naga Curry  (Read 11869 times)

Offline Dorset Bloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
Dorset Naga Curry
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:22 PM »
I'm going to cook a curry at the end of the week for a home auction at my local British Legion.  There's a bloke who lives just around the corner from me who wants me to cook a very hot curry for him to bid against.  When I asked him how hot, he told me "hotter than Phall".  That seems a bit insane to me, but nonetheless, I've got hold of some Dorset Nagas (1 fresh and 2 dried) and I've got other fresh and dried red chillies.

The question is, how many should I use?  I'm going to cook about 1.5 lbs of chicken.

Cheers!

Regards.

Colin

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Naga Curry
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:43 PM »
I'd err on the side of caution and use all of them! You don't want anyone complaining it wasn't hot enough. Seriously,fresh chillis can be pretty variable in strength, they'll also lose strength with cooking, so add late. There are some serious Chilliheads on the site, I'm sure one will be along soon with better info. Welcome.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Colin, the curry can only ever be as hot as the hottest chilli in there, the Dorset naga, and as you are only adding 1 fresh and 2 dried to maybe a curry for 4 people they will be diluted quite a bit, reducing the heat. The dorset naga is only about 800,000 on the shu scale, there are plenty hotter out there.
What recipe are you using?

Offline Dorset Bloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:37 AM »
Colin, the curry can only ever be as hot as the hottest chilli in there, the Dorset naga, and as you are only adding 1 fresh and 2 dried to maybe a curry for 4 people they will be diluted quite a bit, reducing the heat. The dorset naga is only about 800,000 on the shu scale, there are plenty hotter out there.
What recipe are you using?

Thanks for your reply.  I found a recipe on line for a Phall curry, but I'm definitely open to offers on this, if you have any suggestions.

Regards.

Colin

Offline Dorset Bloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:37 AM »
I'd err on the side of caution and use all of them! You don't want anyone complaining it wasn't hot enough. Seriously,fresh chillis can be pretty variable in strength, they'll also lose strength with cooking, so add late. There are some serious Chilliheads on the site, I'm sure one will be along soon with better info. Welcome.

thank you.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Colin I would recommend using curyhells Phaal recipe, HERE

I would add the dried nagas with the chilli flakes and the fresh towards the end of cooking.

Lovely curry this, and despite heat still has a great flavour

Offline Dorset Bloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Colin I would recommend using curyhells Phaal recipe, HERE

I would add the dried nagas with the chilli flakes and the fresh towards the end of cooking.

Lovely curry this, and despite heat still has a great flavour

Many thanks!  I will do exactly that and I'll let you know how it goes.  Cheers!

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Dont forget some nice pics too Colin, good luck

Offline Dorset Bloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Dont forget some nice pics too Colin, good luck

Will do! Only problem I have is the base, because I'm not sure I've got the time for that.  I'll manage.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 08:19 AM »
You really have to make the time to make the base.  If "no oil, no curry" is true, then "no base, no BIR curry" is even truer.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes