Author Topic: The miracle of "flavour memory"  (Read 1486 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
The miracle of "flavour memory"
« on: October 19, 2015, 01:33 PM »
A minute or two ago I was standing in the kitchen preparing chicken and Chinese mushroom in oyster sauce, and as I had a couple of flat field mushrooms going begging, I saut

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The miracle of "flavour memory"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:39 PM »
As an "age mate" at 68 I find this a phenomenon that I come across more and more.  And while I have vivid memories of my first Madras at the Ashoka in Leeds in 1967, the same principle applies to my grandmother's Yorkshire puddings from the 1950's!  Can it be just a simple "age" thing?  I'd expect to hear similar thoughts from Chewy as well!
Tanks Phil for reviving the memories.
Best
Al

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Yup! must be a age thing. When I make soup in the winter time, which I normally do.  I can see my grandma in her kitchen making this huge pot of Scotch Broth, which she used to top up with veggies, barley and meat bones and make it last 4 or 5 day's, that would be late 40s early 50s. wonderful times. 

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:15 PM »
don't think it is age related guys.  I have a 'chemists nose' developed from my analytical chemistry lab days - taste is similar - once sampled - never forgotten.  I also suspect music is similar in nature in being able to take you right back to a time / place instantly.

©2024 Curry Recipes