Author Topic: What are the mistakes to avoid while running a restaurant?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Shiwanisenao

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
What are the mistakes to avoid while running a restaurant?
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:04 AM »
As a first time restaurateur, what are the things i should know?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: What are the mistakes to avoid while running a restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Breaches of health & safety legislation and/or of employment legislation are the first two things to come to mind, assuming that is that you are already familiar with the more technical aspects of the business such as food preparation and service, provisions acquisition, stock control, reservations handling, etc .

** Phil.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:35 AM »
Firstly what type of restaurant is it ?
And where is it - Country etc - different ball game if not in a western type country.

Why a restaurant ? Have you many years of food experience under your belt or is this a good idea on the to do list and you are going to make a couple of quid.... wish you all the best on that one !

best, Rich

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:42 AM »
For me it would be (in no particular order)

Food Hygiene - A poor score can reflect on your business
Health and Safety legislation. - You have a duty to protect your employees and the public
Employment law - especially with regards to illegal immigrants as the fines seem to be the largest.
Fire Risk assessment. - if unsatisfactory or non existent, you can be closed down on the spot
Good suppliers - Nothing worse than getting let down with late deliveries or poor produce.
Reliable staff - Nothing worse than an employee throwing a 'sickie' on a Saturday night because the footballs on.

I'm sure a few more people will chirp in.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Leaving aside the food for a moment, I think one of the keys to success is the relationship you strike up with the customer. If people feel welcomed and looked after they will come back. Some of the most successful restaurant chains in the world hardly provide the best food but all pay close attention to the customer experience

Offline prawnsalad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 01:09 AM »
Leaving aside the food for a moment, I think one of the keys to success is the relationship you strike up with the customer. If people feel welcomed and looked after they will come back. Some of the most successful restaurant chains in the world hardly provide the best food but all pay close attention to the customer experience

This is a very sad but extremely true fact!

©2024 Curry Recipes