Author Topic: Washing 'high' meat  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Washing 'high' meat
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:54 AM »
With only one person living here at the moment (my wife is working in Abu Dhabi), food tends to lurk in the refrigerator for rather longer than it should, and when I had a bacon sandwich a few days ago (Mr Tesco's finest middle rashers, complete with rind -- the best part of a bacon rasher, to my mind), I had the distinct impression that the bacon was past its best.  Feeling peckish this morning, I decided to finish up the bacon, and on smelling it there was no doubt that it was long past its "use-by" date.  Undeterred, I gave it a good wash in hot water, and then immediately grilled it without drying.  Result -- complete success: not a trace of "highness" in the finished dish.  A tip well worth remembering, especially if (like me) you prefer not to waste food just because it is a little elderly ...

** Phil.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Washing 'high' meat
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Bacon should always be boiled for a few mins before frying anyway. it helps the fat render and yield a crispy result. Once you've tried boiling bacon prior to frying you may never fry it unboiled again

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Bacon should always be boiled for a few mins before frying anyway. it helps the fat render and yield a crispy result. Once you've tried boiling bacon prior to frying you may never fry it unboiled again

How interesting.  I didn't know that.  I do know that on this occasion the bacon was deliciously crisp, but I had dismissed that as pure serendipity rather than a direct result of my actions.

** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Another good tip I found out this morning.

Always put 3 rashers or more instead of just 2 in your wife's Bacon Sandwich unless you don't want to hear the end of it.  :-\

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Just relayed that via Skype to Le Khanh (currently in Saigon) and she said "I'm just the opposite, I want only one".  Clearly a cheap-to-run wife !  I told her I had six rashers in my sandwich this morning and she looked horrified but not surprised :)

** Phil.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:51 PM »

How interesting.  I didn't know that.  I do know that on this occasion the bacon was deliciously crisp, but I had dismissed that as pure serendipity rather than a direct result of my actions.

** Phil.

Many people pour boiling water over pork skin before roasting to help make good crackling. I guess it's the same principal.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:47 AM »
hi all

boiling water over duck skin too if you want it crispy

©2024 Curry Recipes