Author Topic: Left Over Base Gravy  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Left Over Base Gravy
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:29 AM »
A question to those members fortunate enough to have been in BIR/TA kitchens.. What do they do with left over base at the end of a service. Do they bin it, reheat and use it as is, or add it to the new base the following day?

Thanks

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Left Over Base Gravy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:03 AM »
they add fresh base to it, thats part of the reason we cannot at home achieve the elusive final 5% missing 'taste'  imagine this going on all year long, its like a 100 year old yeast 'starter' for bread making, google that so you understand where I am coming from.

I posted this topic 3 years ago but no one took it forward?

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:06 AM »
A question to those members fortunate enough to have been in BIR/TA kitchens.. What do they do with left over base at the end of a service. Do they bin it, reheat and use it as is, or add it to the new base the following day?

Thanks

they add fresh base to it, thats part of the reason we cannot at home achieve the elusive final 5% missing 'taste'  imagine this going on all year long, its like a 100 year old yeast 'starter' for bread making, google that so you understand where I am coming from.

I posted this topic 3 years ago but no one took it forward?

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Hi Paul

Yes this is what I was thinking. Have you tried adding old base to new base?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I was in a takeaway kitchen about 8 years ago
They were making up a new base and Yes, the old base (which wasn't much) went into the new
All the reclaimed oil went in, and new oil as well
When this chef heats up his curry gravy, for an ordered curry, the aroma is just magic

everything I love about curry, is pretty much there, to start with

Can't be done at home

If I ran a restaurant it would be no problem
It's a combination of elements you can't do with an 8 onion base and just using fresh ingredients

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Some of them rinse the curry pans back into the smaller working pot of gravy & at least one place I know uses the stock from boiling veg & chicken bones in their gravy.

Regards

ELW

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 01:31 AM »
Hi Paul

Yes this is what I was thinking. Have you tried adding old base to new base?

Unfortunately no, this needs doing on a commercial scale on a daily basis, its the cumulative effect over months of doing this that makes the difference.

It means your new batch of base will be an amalgum of parts of bases stretching back months if not years.

Simply adding at home some left over base from your last batch to your new batch will have no effect at all.

©2024 Curry Recipes