Author Topic: Name that curry and question about kashmiri curry sauce  (Read 15482 times)

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Name that curry and question about kashmiri curry sauce
« on: November 10, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Back in early january I had 2 curries from an indian takeaway in the netherlands.
I want to make something similar at home for people who do not like spiciness/heat in their curries but for now google and this site haven't thrown up much.
Perhaps you guys can help me?

It's a game of "name that curry".
The indian takeaway menu describes them as the following (translated from dutch to english)

Kashmiri curry lamb; lamb cooked with indian fruits (mango and lychee) in a creamy sauce, traditional dish from northwest india.

Malayon curry chicken; chicken fillet cooked in a creamy sauce with nuts, bananas and pineapple.

I'm guessing the malayon is called "malaya" here, can you confirm?
A google search for recipes leads to completely different dishes and to restaurant websites (not actual recipes). 1 google result was this forum so that's how I ended up here.
Google searches for malayan instead of malayon if I don't change it manually, is malayan chicken the same as malaya chicken?

Searching google for "kashmir(i) curry" leads to recipe of rogan josh, which is completely different. Or it leads to recipes using a storebought kashmiri paste (like from patak?) or to recipes that don't look similar at all.
One recipe looks a bit like it might be the one but it lists curry powder as an ingredient. Am I right to be wary of the recipe based on the inclusion of curry powder?
Here's the recipe http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/recipes/Chicken-Kashmiri.html

The sauce question;
A few searches on this site mention chicken kashmir and chicken malaya, some people say that they are simply kormas with fruit added.
One person says that the sauce of kashmiri curry is not the same as the sauce of a korma.
I'm inclined to believe the latter to be true for my local takeaway. The texture and flavour don't seem to be the same as most of the korma recipes I've seen.

If it is a simple korma with ripe mango added how does the flavour of the mango seep into the sauce itself? Do they blend a portion of the mango (or use mango puree) with the sauce before adding mango slices?
Or do they add some of the lychee syrup? I'm assuming they used canned.
The same goes for the malaya (malayon) and the banana.
Do they use different spices for malaya and kashmir than they use for korma? Any other ingredients that are different?
I'm hoping someone could chime in on the sauce dilemma.

I can tell approximately what a dish is going to taste like if it's a traditional homecooked indian dish, but I can't do the same (yet) with BIR recipes. Help is much appreciated.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Name that curry and question about kashmiri curry sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53 AM »
With coconut, almonds, sultanas. Cream based. Kashmir with banana and lychees. Malayan with pineapple. Bon appetit!

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:39 AM »
The Malayan Chicken I used to get in my youth always came as described by PlainPopcorn.

The first Indian Curry I bought my missus (her first ever) was a Malayan Chicken and she's never let me forget it yet as she thought it was like sweet baby food.   :-\

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:40 AM »
I think you have the Malayan Chicken nailed.

Graeme.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:22 PM by Graeme »

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:25 PM »
With coconut, almonds, sultanas. Cream based. Kashmir with banana and lychees. Malayan with pineapple. Bon appetit!
You mean a korma with coconut, almonds and sultanas?
Kashmir adds bananas and lychees, malayan adds pineapple?

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:33 PM »
The Malayan Chicken I used to get in my youth always came as described by PlainPopcorn.

The first Indian Curry I bought my missus (her first ever) was a Malayan Chicken and she's never let me forget it yet as she thought it was like sweet baby food.   :-\

I thought it was really sweet, too sweet for what I'm used to. But I kept eating it anyway, it was delicious.
I'm more for savoury curries and traditional indian home cooking but I want to give the family something they like with christmas, they're the types that don't like spicy/hot stuff and I have the sneaky suspicion that these fruity curries will go down a treat.
I'll be making a variety of dishes (1 dal, 1 palak paneer, 1 flatbread, 1 raita, 1 fruity curry, 1 rice kheer).
I'm not sure the raita is not out of place if there are no spicy/hot types of things.
They've never eaten any of this stuff, if they decide they only like the fruit curry then no harm done, more palak paneer for me.

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 11:50 PM »
I think you have the Malayan Chicken nailed.

Graeme.

Then I suppose it's time for me to choose a thick textured korma in the recipe section. The texture was also a bit gritty (but pleasantly so) from the ground coconut/dessicated coconut (what else gives that texture?). It wasn't smooth like chewytikka's korma video http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,6039.0.html  and the kasmir and malayan I had were also thicker.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:19 AM »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 01:26 PM »
The texture was also a bit gritty (but pleasantly so) from the ground coconut/dessicated coconut (what else gives that texture?). It wasn't smooth like chewytikka's korma

Strange that you like that texture, I find it really unpleasant. I've used coconut flour when experimenting which is about as fine as dessiccated coconut gets but, no, I really didn't like it and I've never had a BIR curry with it in...always smooth. I stick to coconut milk powder and/or coconut cream/block.

©2024 Curry Recipes