Author Topic: Another base gravy sample  (Read 26076 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Another base gravy sample
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Recently I have had another take-away open up near me.The food is always very good,however the main thing for me is that it has a completely open kitchen.Despite being offered a seat I always stand and have my nose pressed against the window watching the chefs.They always nod and smile,probobly wondering why I'm watching their every move.

After placing my order on Friday I thought I'd ask if I could get a portion of the chef's gravy.The guy looked a bit confused,then said 'Ah you mean garabi?'.I explained I was a bit of a curry chef,have had some lessons etc and I that I would like to compare the Chef's gravy to my own.He peered around the kitchen door,shouted something and then the chef smiled and called me in.Despite having about eight pans on the go he was keen to talk and was actually quite amazed at some of my curry pictures I had on my phone.I think he was even more surprised that I even knew the existance of base gravy,or 'garabi' as he also called it.He offered me a taste of his massala paste,to be honest it was very similar to my own I make.

The base gravy was,as I thought pretty much like other gravies I've been given.Very thin in consistancy and just tasting of a very mild curry,not spicy or hot in any way.Given that the chef was using the base for everything he cooked,from massla and korma to madras,this isn't surprising.The base was remarkably similar to the one I was shown how to cook,and the one I use at the moment.

I said I'd had some lessons and what did he think about doing some for me in his kitchen.He was actually very keen and said to come back when it was less busy and we can sort something.Watch the space guys.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Another base gravy sample
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Nice one JB, keep us posted.

London.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Good stuff JB. Look forward to hearing more  :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Excellent work and top brass neckery, JB! You'd get a piece at anyone's door! Look forward to the next instalment. :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Excellent - rattle them there pans !

best, Rich

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Good luck jb
Get in there  ;)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Well,just been back in the kitchen watching my mid week takeaway being cooked.Even had a taste of the gravy the chef was using.Just two guys in the kitchen,the curry chef and the tandoor chef.They still seem quite amazed at what I knew and were keen to have a look at my pictures again.They've offered me the chance to come in when they start at 5pm,my work permitting maybe the week after next.The chef said they make the gravy fresh every day at the start of the service.Believe it or not he said I can watch while he makes it and stay all evening watching what they're doing.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:17 PM »
...can we wire you up with a CIA-style hidden camera JB...?! ;)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52 PM »
They've offered me the chance to come in when they start at 5pm,my work permitting maybe the week after next.The chef said they make the gravy fresh every day at the start of the service.Believe it or not he said I can watch while he makes it and stay all evening watching what they're doing.
I think you should be nominated for the new years honours
arise Sir JB
services to DIY BIR
we salute you!

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 12:45 PM »
All sorted for next Tuesday,I have high hopes for this.Popped in there last night to have a chat,I have to get there before it opens so I can see them do the prep work.They had their base gravy boiling away while I was in the kitchen.Couldn't see much apart from loads of onions and some carrots,hopefully all will become clear next week.I watched the chef cook me a chicken tikka balti,made it look so simple,no flames or nothing magical but it definately had the taste when I got home and tasted it.

©2024 Curry Recipes