Author Topic: Another base gravy sample  (Read 25891 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another base gravy sample
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I find it amazing how many bozos on these forums are quick to dismiss any and every observation from BIR kitchens as "nothing new" or "already tried that" as they search in vain for the mystical new "secret" which will suddenly magically fix their substandard cooking.  What people should be doing is putting all the elements together, in the right balance, and then BIR authentic results are available to any who pay attention to the forums (without being distracted by those whose subject titles scream about the "ultimate" this and the "cracked it" that, etc.)

How do you know which of the members on here may have substandard cooking? Even then, it would only be your subjective opinion. Have you tasted any dishes prepared by any of the members you indirectly refer to? How can you possibly know if they are searching in vain for secret ingredients? Then you make a suggestion which suggests you consider yourself something of an expert when you tell these unnamed people what they should be doing. Have any other members on here tasted and vouched for any dishes prepared by you, to confirm that your cooking really is something special?

As it happens, I regard JB's post #1 as one of the most interesting for some time but I think it reflects poorly on the forum if anyone is attacked because they don't see it that way.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2015, 05:36 PM »
For once I totally agree with George, but could we save the post hijacking and show some respect to Jb

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 07:36 PM »
For once I totally agree with George, but could we save the post hijacking and show some respect to Jb

DB should have thought of that.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2015, 11:35 AM »
You can spend as much time in a bir kitchen as you like but you will never see and they will never share the big secret with you,going in one in the hope of cracking it is a waste of time,but there are a lot of tips you could pick up to improve your home cooking a little.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2015, 12:46 PM »
You can spend as much time in a bir kitchen as you like but you will never see and they will never share the big secret with you,.........

What big secret is that??

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2015, 01:13 PM »
And who's 'they'?

littlechilie

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18 PM »
You can spend as much time in a bir kitchen as you like but you will never see and they will never share the big secret with you,going in one in the hope of cracking it is a waste of time,but there are a lot of tips you could pick up to improve your home cooking a little.

(Great excuse for a unachieving chef  ;D)

Thanks JB for providing another excellent thread for the forum, although I'm not looking to change my methods I'm still looking forwards to following your progress. All good establishments have their own interesting spin on things.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45 PM »
A quick picture of the pathia I cooked last night..

As soon as the lid was opened the familar aroma hit me..100% BIR.

There were a couple of other things I spotted.The precooked veg had panch poran in it,and the pre cooked potatoes were cooked in exactly the same way but with some cumin seeds instead.

hi JB
was this the curry you cooked at the takeaway or was this one you made at home?

and the precooked veg and potato info was really helpful

thanks!

look forward to any other "visit" posts you make
great stuff!

The curry was cooked by myself in the takeaway and then eaten at home.The head chef watched me cook it,tasted it and nodded in agreement.It was very good indeed.To be honest though,the pathia I cook at home is BIR standard anyway,for me it's one of the easiest curries to crack.

I have to agree though that what I've posted so far isn't particularly new or revolutionary,however to me it proves that we've been right all along and most of the elements to produce a fairly decent curry can be found on this forum.A good base gavy,mix powder etc and most important to me technique.

I'll continue posting my experiences in the takeaway for the majority of members who are interested.I've built up a good relationship with the chefs,I've been in the kitchen about five times now,I don't see anyone else on here with that kind of access.I popped in last night for a takeaway.I went straight into the kitchen while the chef was in the midst of cooking a large order.He said I could could my own curry if I wanted so I naturally obliged...another wonderful pathia.

I'm afraid I haven't been privy to any 'magic' ingredient or mystery technique that these chefs (and I guess tens of thousands of other BIR chefs are  using but are managing to keep to themselves!) Until then I'll keep cooking my curries at home using techniques and ingredients I've been shown to produce what are,at least in my opinion spot on BIR curries.

littlechilie

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Hi Jb, hope you don't mind if I add this link to your thread as its a great video of you in action cooking BIR  Pathia. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12525.msg101591.html#msg101591 :) would you say cooking a Pathia in the new establishment has noticeable differences or are they both simula but with differing ways of precook and prep?
Regards.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2015, 07:13 PM »
+1 jb.  Please do continue to post any info you get, as obviously a good relationship is definitely developing which you are generous enough to share for the benefit of all here.  And the majority of us on here want to hear about every little bit.  For those that don't, then don't read the thread, and for those that wish to make irrelevant and disparaging remarks, or seek to derail it, don't bother either.  I will simply now delete anything that is not strictly relevant and positive.

©2024 Curry Recipes