Author Topic: Another base gravy sample  (Read 26164 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Another base gravy sample
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Cheers jb keep up the informative posts, your last base recipe was excellent and still my base of choice.

Couple of questions for you Jason-
Do you find this base to be much different to the last one you posted?
Have you had chance to write up a base recipe?, I would like to do a side by side comparison of the 2 gravies.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 11:03 AM »
I know not everyone is set up to record and post videos and there's hurdles like getting a way of mounting a camera, editing, setting up YouTube etc, so maybe it's cheeky to ask... But....

Now you've achieved your current level of knowledge of BIR it would be a great checkpoint for some of the rest of us to see a video of you cooking a pathia from the start, ie. Base gravy, spice mix, final dish, everything.

Yes it probably is too much to ask you to go through that hassle, but if you ever get the chance to it would be a really useful reference point.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Hi Jb, hope you don't mind if I add this link to your thread as its a great video of you in action cooking BIR  Pathia. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12525.msg101591.html#msg101591 :) would you say cooking a Pathia in the new establishment has noticeable differences or are they both simula but with differing ways of precook and prep?
Regards.

Thanks for that,I'd forgotton that I cooked a pathia in the Zaman restaurant.As you probobly guessed pathia is my favourite curry to cook and also to eat.Still suprised at the ommision of mixed powder though,the chef at my takeaway starts off all his curries in the same way with the usual set of ingredients(apart from massala and korma dishes).He uses chopped garlic at the start,as opposed to ginger/garlic paste.The onions are not precooked,just normal service onions,although he does precook large chunks of onion/pepper for dishes such as dupiaza and balti.These are deep fried in the same oil that the onion bhajis are cooked in,so I guess he gets another level of flavour from doing that.No massala paste in the pathia,all he adds is lemon dressing,chilli and sugar.It's quite funny looking at the video of me in the Zaman,my technique looks so awkward,I guess watching the chefs in action in the new place has helped me a lot.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2016, 07:43 PM »
JB,

Any chance of posting the Pathia recipe you're using at the moment, as after my 1st choice Dhansak,Pathia is a very close second for Me.

London.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2016, 12:03 PM »
Called into the take-away again last night,I only popped in to get some food for the wife and I,ended up staying for a couple of hours.If you've ever been into a take-away kitchen on a Saturday night you'll know how busy it can get,but this was unbelievable.Next time you order some food from a place on a Saturday for delivery and it's a long wait spare a thought for the poor chefs,they really have their work cut out.They actually had three chefs as well as two delivery drivers.Even that wasn't enough,I stepped in to take a few telephone orders and helped to sort out the deliveries.Must have been the neatest writing ever seen on take-away carton lids!

It was fascinating to watch the chefs in action,pans everywhere on the go,I think I must have seen them cook just about everything on the menu.Half way through they started on another batch of gravy,now I have the recipe I'll post it in the appropriate section.They also had to do some more pre-cooked chicken,I tried to watch the chef do this as well,quite similar to recipes already on the site.And yes you guessed it I ordered a chicken tikka pathia.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2016, 12:42 PM »
This made me chuckle.  If you keep turning up at the TA at this rate jb, you'll soon be on the payrol. Your apprenticeship will start once the chef gets you to help with cooking.  What I am curious to know is how did you explain the long delay of the food to the wife  :o

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 11:21 PM »
JB,

Any chance of posting the Pathia recipe you're using at the moment, as after my 1st choice Dhansak,Pathia is a very close second for Me.

London.
No problem if you want to keep your recipe a secret I understand, I give UB's recipe a go.

London.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Spent another evening in the takeaway last night.It wasn't as busy as usual,I watched the chef cook a few big orders,however in between I was able to watch him do some of his prep work.I saw how he did his pre cooked mushrooms(which is very similar to his other pre cooked veg),and I also saw him prepare some tikka marinade.I managed to write down how he did these so I'll put the recipes in the approriate section.

I still can't believe how friendly these guys are and how willing they are to share their recipes.I guess as long as I'm buying food from them they'll let me loose in their kitchen.I had a bit of  a curry overload the weekend(can you have TOO much curry?!).Had a takeaway Friday night,ordered a bit too much so I had the rest the following day.Had another Saturday night and obviously got fed in the kitchen on Sunday night.

I'm back next Sunday,however if I can I will pay a visit on Tuesday as the chef said I can watch him make a new batch of massala paste.

He did another base gravy last night.He definetely likes to do the second bhagar stage the following day.I asked him why and he just said fresh bhagar is best.I also found out that it is in fact a mixture of veg oil and melted ghee that he uses to start his curries,not just plain veg oil.

Offline RobbieC

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Amazing priceless info here JB!

These guys seem like a gem. I know what you mean about 'too' much curry haha. I'm always nagging my wife to place an order.. The good thing is she doesn't mind me making and eating my own!

Masala paste. Brilliant. I'll wait until tomorrow to start my tikka masala and soak in whatever valuable info you post :)

Thanks again for sharing with us mate!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Keep it coming jb.  It's like CR0's own soap.  May have to make another visit later in the week myself  :P For validation purposes of course  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes