Author Topic: Another base gravy sample  (Read 25928 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another base gravy sample
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 05:01 PM »
GREEN WITH ENVY.  Cracking work again Jason, getting yourself in there for the cause  ;)  I may just have to pop in there next tuesday and order a phall and see how it measures up  ;D ;D  Tickle the chef up see he'd mind having another on looker during the quieter times  ::)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Had my first evening in the takeaway last night,it was fantastic.I got there about half past four,just before opening and actually left about ten o'clock.It was quite busy so I had the opportunity to not only pick the chef's brains but to look over his shoulder as he cooked the various curries.The normal chef was absent,but he did phone the takeaway half way through the evening,I managed to speak to him and he's actually took my number to catch up and organise further lessons.I'm tempted to ask him to do some one to one lessons in my home like I had before.

There were actually two chefs,one using the tandoor and one cooking the curries.Both spoke quite good English,and both were very keen to show me what they were doing and answer my questions.I actually made a folder full of my curry pictures to show them,they seemed pretty amazed at my results.I managed to name all of their ingreidients they had at their work station which they thought was quite a feat.

There was so much going on at times but I tried to make a mental note of everything as best as I could.The thing that struck me was that eveything was done in much the same way as I've seen in other BIR kitchens.As the chef kept pointing out,there's no right or wrong way in making things such as gravy or mix powder,just a chef's interpretation of doing these things.There were a few nifty little tricks and short cuts he used,and a few ingredients I've not used before,such as kewra water in his massala paste.

The gravy he used was a two stage method.The first stage was the usual boiling of onions,carrot etc and then a bargar was made of tomatoes,mix powder and oil.Nothing spectacular or magical,it just confirms to me that we have been right all along,most of the gravies on this forum follow the same procedure and will give similar results.

The chef used plain veg oil to start his curries,not a drop of ghee or spiced oil in sight.He also used just garlic to start his tarka,as opposed to blended ginger and garlic,also the garlic was quite lumpy still,not the smooth paste I'm used to using.Neither did he flame any of his pans,the curries were just cooked on a fairly high heat and for some length of time.

The big test was when the chef asked me to cook him a curry so he could see if I could cook.After a bit of a panic I calmed down and cooked just a basic chicken curry.No-where to hide doing this,not many ingredients and no pastes or anything to hide behind.Have to say the finished curry was very tasty indeed,the chef smiled and gave me a ten!

Definately making a return visit,have to say there wasn't anything I saw in the takeaway that couldn't be done at home.I think we may dumb our results down somewhat on the forum sometimes,most of what you need to a decent curry lies within here,the big thing is the technique and cooking the curries correctly.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:00 PM »
Great stuff jb  :)

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Although I don't post very often, I felt I had to jump in and say well done JB.. Pretty much what I always thought is that we are getting results at home the same as our local TA without any magic paste.

Well done fella in infiltrating another restaurant kitchen :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Cheers JB, a great report! good man. Gotta call you Roger Cook ;)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Excellent report JB, thanks for that :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 12:03 PM »
JB

"The thing that struck me was that everything was done in much the same way as I've seen in other BIR kitchens.As the chef kept pointing out,there's no right or wrong way in making things such as gravy or mix powder,just a chef's interpretation of doing these things".

Yes mate this is what its all about INTERPRETATION - no right and wrong way - how you like it - how you feel it when you are making it...............you should NEVER say this is the way - cos it aint !

best, Rich

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Great post jb I remember your previous posts when you had 1:1 tuition and it sounds like this experience reinforces what you learned then.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55 PM »
well done JB

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Cheers jb
All very exciting for you
You do reinforce the idea it's technic   :)

©2024 Curry Recipes