Author Topic: Another base gravy sample  (Read 25892 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another base gravy sample
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 06:43 PM »
A quick picture of the pathia I cooked last night..

As soon as the lid was opened the familar aroma hit me..100% BIR.

I managed to watch the chef make his marinade for his chicken tikka.The tikka from this place is very nice indeed,and the marinade has a couple of unusual ingredients.Apart from the normal suspects such as yoghurt,tandoori,tikka and kashmiri massala paste the chef added a dollop of tomato ketchup as well as some Coleman's mustard.He also added some pre-blended corrinader and chiili paste as well as some blended shatkora.He then added a small amount of sweet chiili sauce.Certainly some unusual ingredients for a tikka marinade,but nonetheless the result is very good indeed.

There were a couple of other things I spotted.The precooked veg had panch poran in it,and the pre cooked potatoes were cooked in exactly the same way but with some cumin seeds instead.

Some of the dishes looked very exotic on the menu,some are listed with 'special sauces simmered with freshly ground spices etc'.In reality,like most places they use an array of pickles and other short cuts.Chicken Dewana,for example is listed as a curry simmered with a special chiil sauce.It is in fact a normal curry with some naga pickle added.The special peanut sauce in the chicken badami is actually smooth peanut butter.They also have a chicken garam massala on the menu,which has 'hot spices and freshly ground herbs'.I've seen them cook this one a few times.It's basically a normal curry with a chef's spoon of shaslik marinade(which is actually different to their tikka marinade).They then add some mint sauce and then suprisingly a dollop of prawn cocktail sauce.Sounds unappealing I know,but If you taste the curry you'll be very suprised how good it tastes.There were a few bits I didn't recognize.For example,the chef adds a paste to his madras and vindaloo.Not sure what exactly it was,but I'll do my best to find out next time.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 07:49 PM »
The paste added to madras and vindaloo sounds interesting.

London.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Great insite jb

Cheers MT

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 02:11 AM »
So, anything new learnt here or not? Just seems more of the same to me?  ::)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Keep up the good work jb.  The majority on here appreciate any snippets from behind the scenes, as there is still plenty to learn for those of us that don't proclaim to know it all.  I wonder how long it will be before some of this info finds it way elsewhere?   ::)

I really must get down to Vindaloo and try their namesake  :)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2015, 05:14 PM »
I find it amazing how many bozos on these forums are quick to dismiss any and every observation from BIR kitchens as "nothing new" or "already tried that" as they search in vain for the mystical new "secret" which will suddenly magically fix their substandard cooking.  What people should be doing is putting all the elements together, in the right balance, and then BIR authentic results are available to any who pay attention to the forums (without being distracted by those whose subject titles scream about the "ultimate" this and the "cracked it" that, etc.)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:30 PM by Donald Brasco »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2015, 07:17 PM »
A quick picture of the pathia I cooked last night..

As soon as the lid was opened the familar aroma hit me..100% BIR.

There were a couple of other things I spotted.The precooked veg had panch poran in it,and the pre cooked potatoes were cooked in exactly the same way but with some cumin seeds instead.

hi JB
was this the curry you cooked at the takeaway or was this one you made at home?

and the precooked veg and potato info was really helpful

thanks!

look forward to any other "visit" posts you make
great stuff!

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Great stuff JB, thanks.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Keep up the good work jb.  The majority on here appreciate any snippets from behind the scenes, as there is still plenty to learn for those of us that don't proclaim to know it all.  I wonder how long it will be before some of this info finds it way elsewhere?   ::)

Couldnt agree more CH, I love jbs posts, and would love to be in his postion, we all can learn from his info.

It already is elsewhere

I find it amazing how many bozos on these forums

Another helpful post db, could you kindly be more specific?

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2015, 04:34 PM »
I haven't been on much since I first joined due to travelling with work but when I do get the chance to read up I love these snippets of first-hand experience. Thanks ever so much for sharing these fascinating insights.

©2024 Curry Recipes