Author Topic: CBM Base Gravy (Vol 2)  (Read 2182 times)

Offline cawsandcook

• Chef
    • View Profile
CBM Base Gravy (Vol 2)
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Has anybody had a go at the CBM base Gravy as specified in vol2 of his book - interested in your results/ thoughts. This is the one with the Akhni stock (spiced water). It looks a very balanced base and the method appeals to me - intend to have a go at this one next time around.
John

Offline m0rq

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CBM Base Gravy (Vol 2)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Hi John,

I have tried some different bases over time, including both of CBMs base gravies from his ebooks, and some from this site. The first one I ever tried was CBM base Vol.1, and from the beginning I was very pleased with the base and its related recipes in the book. And it will adapt perfectly to other recipes, taken from this site.

Later I also tried the base from Vol.2 with the Akhni stock, and was quite enthusiastic over the smell and taste of the base while producing it. But.. I always found that this base turned out a little too watery or "thin", and when making a curry, I couldn't tell any benefits of that Akhni stock.

I then switched back to the Vol.1 gravy, and have since then found that this one suits me best. I think the Vol.1 gravy leaves more opportunities to go at many different curries, while the ones made with Vol.2 were not always very good. Besides the taste, I like the consistency of Vol.1 base much, much better. It seems to be better suited for high heat reduction somehow, my results are far better with this, curries turn out more "thick and creamy" and are not dripping water or oil.

Same applies to any other base I tried, they were not bad at all, but still I seem to get the best results from CBM Vol.1 base. I make a lot of Vindaloo, Madras, Achari, Bhuna, and even CTM and Butter Chicken, they all turn out very well, at least for me (and my guests who know their curries very well).

Yeah so.. that's my experience of over a year getting thru the BIR jungle ;-)

Regards,
m0rq

Offline cawsandcook

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CBM Base Gravy (Vol 2)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Many thanks for your comments - very informative. I have also made the vol 1 base on several occasions  and found the results excellent. I will have a go at the vol 2 base and see whether I arrive to the same conclusion as yourself. Much appreciated.
Regards
John

©2024 Curry Recipes