Author Topic: No mention of using chilli extract sauces.  (Read 3267 times)

Offline welshknuckles

• Chef
    • View Profile
No mention of using chilli extract sauces.
« on: December 12, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Guys and Gals,

Does anyone use hot sauces to spice up their BIR curries?

I use Mad Dogs Revenge 1million Scoville extract sauce.

It turns Madras into wild Phall in half a teaspoon, without affecting the overall taste as it is little more than just heat in a bottle.

Sometimes i will dip a metal skewer about an inch into the bottle and stir it into a curry too and it is surprising the effect it has on the heat levels!

Is this a faux pas?

Your thoughts....

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: No mention of using chilli extract sauces.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 03:34 PM »
I have tried and had some good results as you have with the high-heat dishes, but then we are not really interested in subtle flavours are we ::) ;D. 

I find that they do not help in milder dishes because the vinegar & other additives seem to accentuate the flavour of the chillis too much.  If you really want an explosive mix get some fresh mega chillis, like Naga, Scotch Bonnet, or Birds Eye, pulp with a little black pepper, then mix with Mustard Oil (by hand) until you get a smoth but not runny paste.  Then freeze the mix in an ice cube tray and use as required.  the secret is not to defrost the cube(s) just add it frozen so that the gases and oils stay in the curry.  The next stage is make sure you have some pre-frozen ice packs in the freezer, and the following morning arrange them around the loo seat and have one spare in a plastic disposable bag.  the rest is up to you and your imagination.  Take care is this is my dark secret  :o ;D :D ;D :D

CP

Offline welshknuckles

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:34 PM »
I will try that the next time I get my hands on some Hab's.

You are right CP it would not work in a Korma!

The Mad Dog's doesn't have a flavour it is capsaicin and soyabean oil. That's it!

Wild Baby!

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:56 PM »
hi welshknuckles
try getting hold of some dorset nagas(940,000 on the scoville scale) i'm sure they would also do the trick. i think cp has got hold of some......? i have tried a chicken tikka naga from a newly opened place called the "The Royal Spice" in bethersden just along the A28 it's a converted pub very spacious. anyway it was delicious and its described as a real alternative to vindaloo but they removed the chilli :o. top gears' richard hammond (before he tried to kill his self in a really fast car ) ;D tried to kill hisself by putting a bangladeshi naga on the tip of his tongue and it reduced him to tears but all in the name of fast cars ;)(you would have thouhgt he would go for a  mega double phall(a dish i just made up) with the size of his balls ....top bloke!

regards
gary

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:35 PM »
Is this a faux pas?
No mate, sounds bloody good  ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:16 AM »
My favorite local BIR uses it in their Tindalloo, absolutely no Chilli aftertaste in any of their hot dishes & no trace of Chillies Pureed or otherwise, i think i & a few others broached this subject about a year or so ago.
I only have come across the one Bir that uses concentrate.

All the best for the season of goodwill & dark tidings to all  ;D

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:28 AM »

Darth, can you please tell me what the difference is between Tindaloo and Vindaloo. Cheer's Paul

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Hi, the Tindalloo is bloody hot & a Vindalloo is just warm lol, its my local BIR version of a Phall but without any Chilli powder taste, the ingredients are identical to their Vindalloo & the only real difference is the level of heat.
Hope this helps. :)

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Allrighty thanks Darth.

©2024 Curry Recipes