Author Topic: Ready made curry kits, restaurant style  (Read 8150 times)

Offline JohnSmith4

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ready made curry kits, restaurant style
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Well actually it doesn't work out too bad for price. I get bulk chicken from musclefood.com, works out ?5/kilo (quality fillets too). Plus the kit at ?3.95. That's ?8.95 for 3 good portions, or 4 sensible portions. That's ?2.24/portion. That's excluding postage, which'll vary depending how much meat and kits you get per order.

I think my maths is about right.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:43 PM »
I have had the jalfrezi one,it tasted like the jalfrezi from iceland which is only ?1.50,i prefer my own but they are ok if you do not have the time to cook.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16 PM »
So tonight I made the chicken dhansak from the recipe cited earlier.  Made exactly to spec. (zero deviations) but had to cook it for 50 minutes rather than 20 in order to achieve the desired consistency.  As my chicken breasts were from one of Mr Leckford's more senior birds, the chicken came to no harm.  Analysis ?  Well, it was most certainly a chicken dhansak, and like all dhansaks benefited from the addition of red onion and tomato salad with lime pickle, but for me the lack of pineapple chunks meant that it was not quite to my taste.  It could also have used a little extra jaggery goor, I felt.

** Phil.

Offline JohnSmith4

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:43 PM »
I wonder how that compares to their kit version.

Offline stinkydave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I live local to a Rafi's spicebox store. I've tried quite a few of the mixtures over the past few years and whilst they are nice, I wouldn't really say that they are a shortcut to BIR food. As with many paste based methods, I find that there is always a similar taste lurking in the background no matter what the curry you are making.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Yes I once tried them pretty average stuff really!

I prefer these tradional ones I've been having these for years and I agree it's always best to try them before shooting them down in flames

http://spicebox.co.uk/

Ps yes Dave I agree the paste type curries eg Rafi or pataks do have similarities in
Tastes whatever curries you make but I still use them from time to time
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:07 PM by Curry addict bob »

©2024 Curry Recipes