Author Topic: First curry attempt complete......  (Read 4868 times)

Offline stinkydave

• Chef
    • View Profile
First curry attempt complete......
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Well I will put that down as a partial success...... I made JB's base and then followed Chewytikka's madras recipe, but scaled up the proportions slightly.
The end result was hotter than satans hoop. I think that I may have added too much powder........
Better luck next time I think......

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: First curry attempt complete......
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:39 PM »
The end result was hotter than satans hoop. I think that I may have added too much powder........

;D ;D ;D Funny Man, stinky

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21 PM »
Stick with single portions for now, followed to the letter Chewy's madras is a really good curry, did you use Kashmiri chilli powder or another as Kashmiri is mildier that others.

London.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:50 PM by london »

Offline stinkydave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:01 PM »
I used kashmiri chilli powder. I think the problem was the scaling up and the fact I used chilli infused oil too. I love a really really hot curry, but this came out very rich and tasted weird.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:01 PM »
If it came out too rich it maybe too much tomato puree, it needs to be diluted with water. 1 part tomato puree to 2 or 3 parts water.

London.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:26 PM by london »

Offline stinkydave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:46 PM »
Mebbe,

I did dilute the puree, but only 50/50. Will do exact measures next time.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Scaling up recipes doesnt always work, when doubling a recipe the spices need to be x1.5 and not x2. I never double curries, only ever do single portions, but this works for other aspects of cookery.

Wouldnt have thought kashmiri chilli would make it "hotter than satans hoop" especially as you like hot curries, how much did you add and what chilli oil did you use?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:18 AM »
Stinky, Its tried, tested and copied by many.
Just follow the recipe and technique, its simple, but like all things it needs practice.

Post back when you

Offline stinkydave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 01:44 PM »
It looked like this bad boy. I used spiced chilli oil from Aldi and now I've looked I only had hot curry powder in which I used for the mix. I will lob the powder mix out that I made and start again with more attention to detail. I'm sure it's not the recipe Chewy, it was my artistic license with the scaling up. I may also have kicked the arse out of the chilli powder...
 Nevermind, a lesson was learned here. I've got enough base in the freezer for another 18 goes......

Offline stinkydave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Right,

Just had round 2. It was so much tastier but still rather hot. I made up Chewies mix powder but I only had hot curry powder in the house, I couldn't get medium in the supermarket. Even with changing the ratio in the powder mix down from 2 to 1 teaspoon of curry powder in it it had quite a kick hotter than madras. This is clearly what is messing it up for for me. Either that or I bought moody kashmiri chilli powder from a charlatan on ebay.
Gonna order madras powder from the interweb for round 3, but besides that issue, it was bloody tasty.
Cheers chewie.
Nom nom.

8)

©2024 Curry Recipes