Author Topic: New book entitled 'British Indian Restaurant Food At Home' available at Amazon  (Read 24726 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Sorry, Steven, at
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:13 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Steven - thank you for flagging up your book and for explaining where you are coming from. I agree that most of the best curries come from restaurants in far away places like you mention and not from (too often) sub-standard BIRs. That said, I've recently had some superb-tasting food from two or three BIRs, so I now reckon the standard is going up.

How much do you expect to make from selling your book? After all costs and fees are taken into account, I doubt if it will amount to much. And as Phil says, from the buyer's point of view,

Offline Steven Heap

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback. I am happy to have the opportunity to address those questions here:

Q:

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Steven, Glad to see you have met the resident Statler and Waldorf  ;D

Always willing to try something new, the base from the book gets an outing tonight, and going the whole hog and using the spiced oil, the mix powder, Jalfrezi and Vindaloo recipes also from the book. And as a measure will make a standard curry, using my normal recipe and mix powder but with the base.
Should be good, havent tried a new base in a while.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:56 PM by Madrasandy »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
72 pages for ?10!? WHAT!?

I can print that off in 5 minutes myself for a hell of a lot less than you can provide it

In this day and age to go and say people prefer paperback and not even giving an option for digital download is a bit silly.
And old timers view in my opinion, as i rarely buy paperback anymore.
Excessive cost and takes up too much space when you buy lots of recipes books like myself.

Digital is easier to find certain recipes and references too, as most have a search and note feature.
Also Instant! I get excited when i come across a book that looks interesting and with an ebook i can have it open and testing recipes right away. I hate waiting for stuff to be delivered and having to pay for that service too.

Have you looked at google books as a platform for release?
I have downloaded hundreds of books of it and at reasonable prices. I don't think they take the mick with royalties like Amazon.

I have to agree with other members, we have such a deep resource of recipes and information on this site that ?10 for 72 pages of things most of us probably already know is too steep.

You should really sort out a digital release, you will struggle getting people to pay for what you are currently offering.

Offline Steven Heap

• Chef
    • View Profile
Ok I do apologies. Next time I publish a book I'll consort your expert marketing advice. Some of you guys are obvious such curry experts that you couldn't possibly learn anything more. Discussion closed :)

Joining this forum reminds me of the time those two American hitch-hikers go into the Slaughtered Lamb pub in the film American Werewolf in London. lol.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
First impressions, after browsing about a bit.
Your still coming across as a spammer to me... even using your book cover image as an avatar

As for a digital release. Would that mean an eBook (published on Kindle, etc)? If so, I personally find Ebooks albeit cheaper to be not very favourable. So many people don't like reading things off a screen and like to have a physical copy in their hands. The only time I bought a Kindle book I sent it back to Amazon almost immediately because I wasn't even able to download it onto my computer and had to be on-line to access it. I felt like I didn't really own the book.

A bit of a contradiction Mr.Heap, as you are clearly trying to sell your quite expensive EBOOK

Payment and Delivery Details, clipped from your website
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:07 PM by curryhell »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Ok I do apologies [sic]. Next time I publish a book I'll consort [sic] your expert marketing advice.
Please feel free to do so, Steven.  I charge
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:42 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline ScottyM

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Ok I do apologies. Next time I publish a book I'll consort your expert marketing advice. Some of you guys are obvious such curry experts that you couldn't possibly learn anything more. Discussion closed :)

Joining this forum reminds me of the time those two American hitch-hikers go into the Slaughtered Lamb pub in the film American Werewolf in London. lol.

LOL
Please do! It looks as though you need it.

This forum is filled with people that are experienced and passionate about BIR.
If they give out advice i would recommend taking it and not getting the arse and running away.
Did you think people would be bowing down to you and throwing money your way when you made that first post!?
What your offering is nothing new and far from value for money, good luck with that.

©2024 Curry Recipes