Author Topic: Donner in a tin  (Read 19170 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Donner in a tin
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2023, 03:54 AM »
Bit rot on this thread.  The original post (including the recipe) is gone.  Good thing I've got Rik on "chat" to find out how he originally did it.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2023, 04:56 AM »
Bit rot on this thread.  The original post (including the recipe) is gone.  Good thing I've got Rik on "chat" to find out how he originally did it.

I was a bit miffed as well when I saw it was gone, the original poster made reference to John Kirkwood’s site so I may give that a spin.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2023, 09:50 AM »
Rik's put it up on his YouTube Channel. Backyard Chef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY8d5IB0RAc

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2023, 03:13 PM »
 :like:

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2023, 11:05 PM »
Ok, I have a screenshot of the original post, but am experiencing some trouble attaching it to this post, so here goes nothing. ( which is what you might see )

Regards pap rika

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2023, 11:12 PM »
Well I can see it in the original thread, looks like it worked.

Regards pap rika
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 12:01 AM by pap rika »

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2023, 01:47 PM »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2023, 02:48 PM »
The closest I've come to actual takeaway doner kebab meat is King Kebab which is available from Iceland here in the UK (https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/king-kebab-house-doner-kebab-meat-350g/91174.html). It's very close but a little under spiced compared to the real thing and not quite lamby enough because lamb's not the main ingredient. Never heard of chicken doner when I used to get takeaway but that was nigh on 30 years ago now. None of that white-sauce crap either, only blisteringly hot chilli sauce. What a joy that was after a skinfull.

Talking about a lamb doner kebab recipe in general though there are a couple of things that it must have to compare to takeaway meat. First it has to have lamb fat from around the kidneys. And second it will have chicken in it but probably as the lesser ingredient after lamb or possibly mutton.

I was trying to find a recipe that matched the takeaway but then I came across the King Kebab from Iceland and that basically put an end to my search. The red chilli sauce is another story. I tried a few from youtube and they didn't really come close. In the end I settled on Doritos hot salsa which while not being a perfect substitute is pretty close. I blend it a bit to take the chunks out and add Encona original hot pepper sauce to get the heat right.

Between the King Kebab meat an the Dorito/Encona chilli sauce it's pretty darn close to what I used to get from the takeaway.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2023, 10:25 PM »
Haven't tried the king kebab meat from Iceland, but on your recommendation I will give it a try, my first taste of kebabs was approx 40 years ago in earls court, then it was served with a house sauce or lashings of lemon juice.
 Now if I ask for lemon juice on top I'm greeted with looks of bewilderment, anyone else ever recall their kebabs served with lemon juice or was it regional to earls court.

Regards pap rika

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2023, 06:11 AM »
Now if I ask for lemon juice on top I'm greeted with looks of bewilderment, anyone else ever recall their kebabs served with lemon juice or was it regional to earls court.

Regards pap rika

I likely discovered Doner Kebabs about 40 years ago, staggering home along the Old Kent Road.
I only remember Lemon Juice which used to come from a big yellow squeezy bottle, and always asked for extra. I love citrus and a squeeze of lemon over most things was always an improvement.
T63

©2024 Curry Recipes