Author Topic: Donner in a tin  (Read 19140 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Donner in a tin
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2023, 06:35 PM »
No, I confess that I didn't, Livo.  And from your description, I would not have enjoyed it had I done so.  I don't want fried onion, tomato slices, lettuce, barbecue sauce, sweet beetroot, or a slice of pineapple.  I really do like my food plain and unadulterated.  The finest hamburgers I have ever encountered were served in the faculty club of the University of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada).  A hamburger to die for, but they served the first one with fried potato skins, which I had to explain to my server were the part of the potato that we throw away in the U.K.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 09:07 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2023, 10:30 PM »
As you said Phil, each to their own.  Sadly, the real hamburger is disappearing.  McDonalds has done the damage and the Takeaway that used to be found in almost any town are mostly gone.  Just another piece of history.  Fortunately for me, one of the remaining few is right at the bottom of my street and they (he) makes great burgers.  The ones that do remain are very popular and the trade workers keep them busy for breakfast and lunches.  They are another one of those mysteries like BIR and the Doner.  You can make it at home but it just isn't the same as buying one cooked on the big flat top.

My wife and I had to do a drive yesterday and to my surprise, we passed a mobile food trailer on the side of the road.  It was colourfully painted and decorated and had signage declaring it to be Mr Sheesh with the words Kebabs and Doner in big letters.  I haven't seen a roadside doner van in years. Unfortunately, we were on a schedule and couldn't stop.

New thread on the burger.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:30 AM by livo »

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2023, 02:49 PM »
For those who like a garlic sauce with their Donner Kebab, I found this small batch Lebanese Garlic Sauce (Toum) at this site.
http://chichoskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/04/toum-garlic-lebanese-sauce-recipe.html

If you’ve ever made Toum most recipes call for a cup or more of garlic, 3 cups of neutral oil with lemon juice and salt in good measures. Only for it to split at the last moment
This Toum is made from only 5 cloves of garlic and one cup of oil. It does have 1 egg white which is a little unusual.
Having made it for the first time today in a few short minutes I am really pleased with the result, it is the lightest and creamiest recipe for Toum that I have used.
I made mine in this small Kitchen Aid (a gift from the kids) which has a small well in the top that allows the oil to drip in at the right speed. I kept the mini-chopper at the lowest speed setting throughout.

https://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/food-processors/859794315020/mini-food-chopper-830ml-5kfc3516-onyx-black

Ingredients:
5 cloves of garlic
1 egg white
1 cup of neutral oil (sunflower is fine)
Juice of 1 lemon
a good pinch of salt
1 cup of iced water of which you will use around 2 tbsp

Put the garlic cloves along with salt and 1/4 of the lemon juice in the blender. Blend on medium and scrape the sides down when the garlic goes flying everywhere. Add the egg white and blend on medium.
Add half the oil in bit by bit. A thin stream is not necessary, but don’t go crazy. A reasonable, fine, steady pour is good.

At this stage, the emulsification should have taken place. If it hasn’t and the sauce looks like it has split, then something has gone wrong. You may need to remove half the amount, add another egg white, whizz away and re-pour what had already split. But if you take it slow without pouring the oil too quickly, it should be fine.

Switch to a slow blend, and add the rest of the lemon juice in slowly too.
Add the rest of the oil in the same fashion.
Add 1 or 2 tbsp of water. You will see the consistency change into something wonderfully creamy and light.

©2024 Curry Recipes