Author Topic: Donner in a tin  (Read 19145 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Donner in a tin
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2023, 06:26 AM »
My eldest son cooks Doner Kebab in the slow cooker and often brings one to a family BBQ with all the trimmings.
The finishing process in a sandwich press is reminiscent of the shawarma, these seem to be growing in popularity at present.

They prove a hit when he brings them round. Now I am going to try and best him with the cook in a tin version.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2023, 10:46 AM »
Haven't tried the king kebab meat from Iceland, but on your recommendation I will give it a try...

It's definitely worth a try but don't get over excited because it's nowhere near perfect. But it is, as I said, the closest I've found to the real thing so far. A tip on the cooking to get it just right (in my opinon): put a clump of the meat on a couple of folded paper towels on a plate and microwave at max for about 30 seconds. All you're doing here is trying to defrost the clump to separate the individual strips of meat. So then separate the strips and spread them out all over the paper towel. Then microwave at maximum again for no longer than 1 minute (check at 30 seconds). This stuff is already cooked so you're only aiming to heat it up sufficiently. If you overcook it it'll shrivel and lose some of its flavour. Those are rough timings so obviously adjust for your microwave. The paper towls are to soak up all the grease that comes out of them so if you want the grease then ditch the towels but I find it closer to the real thing if I use paper towels.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2023, 11:45 AM »
Cheers SS, I'm gonna try it both ways. With and without the use of paper towels, I personally find it more authentic when the grease is ozzing out of the kebab and dribbling down the side of my mouth, like a good burger ( sounds gross, but hey it's a kebab) with a final added blast from the blowtorch for more authenticy.

Regards pap rika

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2023, 11:54 AM »
A tip on the cooking to get it [the King Be]bab meat] just right (in my opinon): put a clump of the meat on a couple of folded paper towels on a plate and microwave at max for about 30 seconds. All you're doing here is trying to defrost the clump to separate the individual strips of meat. So then separate the strips and spread them out all over the paper towel. Then microwave at maximum again for no longer than 1 minute (check at 30 seconds). This stuff is already cooked so you're only aiming to heat it up sufficiently. If you overcook it it'll shrivel and lose some of its flavour.

Microwave ovens are notoriously bad for drying out food — I am minded to invest in some Iceland King Kebab meat and try re-heating it under the Tepro steak grill on minimum power ...
--
** Phil.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2023, 11:57 AM »
Now if I ask for lemon juice on top I'm greeted with looks of bewilderment, anyone else ever recall their kebabs served with lemon juice or was it regional to earls court.

Regards pap rika

I likely discovered Doner Kebabs about 40 years ago, staggering home along the Old Kent Road.
I only remember Lemon Juice which used to come from a big yellow squeezy bottle, and always asked for extra. I love citrus and a squeeze of lemon over most things was always an improvement.
T63

That's the one, when you added so much lemon juice that the bottom of the pitta bread fell of the kebab before you had finished it

Regards pap rika

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2023, 02:34 PM »
I am minded to invest in some Iceland King Kebab meat ...

but beware — don't get ripped off as I have just been.  Charged £4-00 for a 350gm pack, went back to the hotel to find that they do a 750gm pack for only £6-00 ...

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2023, 04:05 PM »
Noted Phil, many thanks.

Regards pap rika.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2023, 04:30 PM »
Never heard of chicken doner when I used to get takeaway but that was nigh on 30 years ago now.

No chicken doner in the 90s? Blimey! Although I agree garlic sauce is an unhelpful addition to civilization  :Clown:

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2023, 05:44 PM »
Well, I've not encountered chicken doner to this day ...  Chicken blended with lamb, without a doubt (look at the cost saving) but 100% chicken (modulo rusk, spice, etc) never.
--
** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2023, 07:14 PM »
On the subject of kebabs, I was in Lidl a few days ago and noticed that, for the first time, they had unminted lamb kebabs ("Birchwood Lamb Shish Kebabs", 720gm for £6-99), of which I cooked three this evening (about a week after their "use-by" date).  I pulled them off their little wooden skewers, inserted my rather more substantial square cross-section stainless steel kebab skewers (with wooden handles) and cooked them under the Tepro steak grill for about ten minutes at minimum power, turning them regularly but not oiling or greasing them in advance.  I then wrapped each of the three in one half of a freshly grilled chapati and ate them with mint raita — absolutely superb.  Lidl call them "shish kebabs", but to my taste the spicing indicated that they were, in fact, seekh kebabs as I had hoped.

Try !
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes