Author Topic: Business opportunity for capable members  (Read 4557 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Business opportunity for capable members
« on: April 24, 2016, 01:18 PM »
See here:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/foodnews/third-of-curry-houses-could-close-as-tough-immigration-rules-block-chefs-coming-to-uk

BIRs are desperate for good chefs. It seems they prefer to bring over chefs from Asia and, now they can't, the restaurants may close.

But a few people on here seem to consider that they can cook to a higher standard than Asian chefs, so what are they waiting for? They could set up new restaurants. I think the individuals concerned may know who they are. Two of them advised another member, recently, to ignore anything I say about cooking curries so they must think they are more capable than I am , for a start. But are they even 20% as capable as an Asian chef? Personally, I doubt it, and I think these peple have over-inflated opinions of themselves.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Business opportunity for capable members
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:30 AM »
I'm not surprised some people think that they can cook better than some BIR chefs. In my recent experience (and other people I know) the standard of takeaway curries on the whole has gone totally downhill. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few TAs ran by British owners popping up in the wake of Adey Payne et al over the next few years. Good luck to them!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Indeed Mike. The average BIR is pretty dire these days, in my experience at least. It would surely take a special kind of ******** [strong language removed] to not be able to cook a better curry after more than ten years on a BIR forum. But then...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:31 AM by curryhell »

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:50 PM »
Well spoken Sveridge,Mike and George.I am pretty lucky my local TA is a Dilshad Balti,is first class,am relying on it more as cooking habits have changed whilst her indoors is undergoing her CA treatment and needs different diets.
You are right also,have also tasted some dross at other GAs
Cheers Geoff

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Why would one want to give up their well-payed job to become a 'chef' with crap working hours and crap pay?

Personally, I don't think I can produce BIR better than most of these cooks - they are doing it all time and practise makes perfect (most of the time). What I can do is make it to my taste - which may be different from other peoples'.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41 PM »
What I can do is make it to my taste - which may be different from other peoples'.

Good point!

My take is that flavour standards may be going back up again for quite a few Indian restaurants. For such establishments, I can't say I remember the equivalent dishes tasting better several decades ago.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:53 PM »
Has everybody got a well paid job then? Maybe they haven't and got sod all to lose by taking the plunge. Maybe they are so passionate about cooking they don't mind the anti social hours... Me and my Mrs are thinking about it. Not curry but a food outlet in one incarnation or other. Are the profit margins in curry slim then?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Indeed Mike. The average BIR is pretty dire these days, in my experience at least. It would surely take a special kind of ******* to not be able to cook a better curry after more than ten years on a BIR forum. But then...
Reported to moderator :  "Totally unacceptable language".
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Reported to moderator :  "Totally unacceptable language".

I agree and I suspect the reason it hasn't been removed is that Sverige is one of the present moderator's crew who mounted what amounted to a coup to get me replaced with him. And the reason Sverige took a disliking towards me was the number of times I had to delete four letter words from his posts. I pleaded with Admin to throw him out but it didn't happen and the rest is soon to be history as the forum continues going from bad to worse.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 01:03 AM »
Just seen this post

After cooking curry for more years that have flown by - and soon to be cooking my last commercial curry - moving on to ventures new.

The profit margin's in any business always depends on how much you take out at the end of the night - staff - ingredients - etc.... I really have lost touch with the ingredients prices in the UK now.

What i will say that if you start a business from scratch - you have to put the hours in - so chefs do work long hours if they want to succeed !

Can you succeed - YES you just have to look at your market place - and get situated in a reasonably populated area.

However - look at supplying different market places shops deli's etc - I looked at opening a restaurant out here but decided on a different route - sell to supermarkets - has it been easy NO - rewarding Yes.
In 3 and a half years from selling to the first supermarket we now supplying the 4 biggest supermarket groups - supplying nearly 200 stores Nationwide. Have learnt everything about buyers - suppliers - packaging - distribution centers etc.....

The reward about working for yourself guys - We have built the house with pool on 1.2 acres and sold for quite a few naughts - which will help.

My last commercial curry will be coming out of the kitchen in a couple of months as we change over to the new chefs

There is a huge market place in Spain and France for bir in the right areas ( ex-pats) - which is a little nearer to the UK.

Many of you can cook - worth a try at something new ! The set up cost can be quite expensive - probably the main reason that no one gives it a shot - if you can get over the set up hurdle - you can make it !

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes