Author Topic: Roti Prata/Channai curry sauce in Singapore/Malaysia  (Read 2161 times)

Offline fajfall

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Roti Prata/Channai curry sauce in Singapore/Malaysia
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:47 PM »
Roti prata/channai are chewy Indian flatbreads served with an amazing brown curry dip. I've googled it without success. I can make approximate the bread but have no idea how to make the sauce for it.

Funnily enough the 'chappatis' I ate in Kenya were similar to Roti Prata, and way better than the dull brown chappatis I ate in India. Made from white flour with lots of vegetable shortening, they're rich and chewy and enjoyed even by all classes.

I haven't had a good bread+curry as the textures and flavours just don't match so well as rice always does: except for the pungent curry sauce given with roti prata, which matches it perfectly.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Roti Prata/Channai curry sauce in Singapore/Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Welcome fajfall
In the UK Indian Restaurants, your Roti Prata translates to Paratha.
With the dough having more ingredients than a simple Chappati dough.
Basically similar to Naan dough, with plenty of resting and oil or butter when handling.

Search Paratha for videos on how to prepare, or go to your Indian store and buy some
ready made frozen, as there usually very good.

Only you know what the brown curry dip tastes like, so that could be anything and hard to answer.

If you did a bit more real life research and gave more info about the restaurant type and ethnic
background of the place, more members might be able to help.

cheers Chewy ;)

Offline fajfall

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 02:23 AM »
@chewytikka: it's been years since I was in Singapore so I can't study he curry. The flavour's to singular to even guess what's in it. But it's the same recipe EVERYWHERE in Singapore and Malaysia: if you've eaten Prata there, you've had the brown curry sauce. It's only eaten for breakfast.

It originates in a part of Souh India, maybe Chennai given the Malaysian term for it, and that almost Singapore's Indians are Tamil. It's a fish curry but doesn't have a fish taste at all: my dad won't eat anything with a hint of seafood taste or smell yet he loved it (without knowing what it was). I've googled fish curries but they use real fish chunks, but street food curry prata couldn't sell such a cheap dish using real seafood in it.

It's so cheap and ubiquitous in Singapore that no one even comprehends the concept of making it at home or even knowing what's in it. I never did, until now.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Hi fajfall,
Try googling roti canai or roti canai and curry recipe, I think thats what youre looking for. Ive picked these up mistakenly from the Chinese supermarket freezer believing them to be like an Indian paratha. Very different and quite a wet and sticky dough but crispy when fried. Unexpected, but i liked them.  :)
There are plenty of recipes under that name. It sounds like the curry is either lentil or potato based or a combination of both that goes with the prata for breakfast. Only you will know by expermentation.
Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Frank.

©2024 Curry Recipes