Author Topic: Growing coriander from seed  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Growing coriander from seed
« on: May 21, 2016, 08:15 AM »
I'm interested in growing coriander from seed so I can just grab a handful from the garden when needed.

Is it worth buying packets of coriander seed from a garden centre, or is a handful of whole Dhania from the big bag the Asian grocer sells just as good?

For those who are successfully growing their own coriander, what's the typical time from sowing to having a harvest ready crop? I guess sowing at intervals will be necessary to have a continuous supply.

Any other tips? Shady position or full sunlight? Water often or leave on te dry side?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Growing coriander from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Spice pack seeds don't always grow right
I've tried them a few times
They certainly sprout but sometimes don't get taller than about an inch
I've grown "proper" seeds too
They need a bit of sun, but do ok outside in a pot, during summer
Cooler months may need a window ledge pot inside
The biggest problem, I had, was staggering the crop
Even when weeks sown apart, they all seemed to catch up with each other
Then they go to seed
Having said that, the green seeds are really nice

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Thanks Haldi, I'll have a go and see how I get on.

Offline Curryon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Hi Sverige,

I have had some success growing coriander. The most important thing is to get good seeds. I use Leisure variety.

I soak seeds overnight and sow  1 cm  deep in a large pot (8 inch deep if possible) of wet compost/potting soil. I place these outdoors on a window ledge or alternatively indoors. I place these on the window ledge to avoid slugs. They would have to climb 1m of pebbledash to get to them  ;D .The pot is generally filled up to an inch below the top. This allows you to add more compost as the seedlings grow. They are generally long and spindly and so can fall over otherwise.

The seedlings should appear after about 7-10 days. They may appear side by side in pairs as each seed is actually 2 seeds in 1. Thin these pairs out as they are too close together. Fill with compost up to the top to give them more support. Water gently if it is not raining regularly being careful not to disturb the roots. Do not transplant as they have delicate roots. Make sure that they are not sitting in water on a saucer etc. I water indoor plants every day or 2 but raise them up on the saucer so the water can drain. They do not like too much sunshine. They may bolt and go to seed due to lack of water, too much sunshine or seed variety.

I'm trying to grow a large coriander plant from 1 seed and also a pot of seeds at the moment - see pics attached.

Offline Curryon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Pot of seedlings

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Hi curryon

Thanks for your fantastic posts above, very informative to me. I've picked up some useful tips and appreciate your effort in posting.

I've actually just harvested my first batch of homegrown coriander and managed to get a few good tall plants, but quite a low return from the number of seeds I planted. I'm adopting your tip of planting 1cm deep for my second batch which have just been sown.

once again thanks for contributing your experience.

Offline Curryon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 06:40 PM »
A pic of this years batch. So easy to grow.

I use leaves for curries and stalks for base. I freeze in batches and use over time

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 08:42 PM »

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 12:45 PM »
A useful link tempest.
My problem is that only 3 seeds germinate in a pot and I get long strangly growth which just collapses on to the edge of the pot  :(

©2024 Curry Recipes