Author Topic: Garlic ginger paste ratio?  (Read 9455 times)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Garlic ginger paste ratio?
« on: May 21, 2016, 11:27 AM »
This has probably been asked a thousand times but what would be the best ratio for GG paste, is it 60 ginger 40 garlic?
Also I have been diluting three Tbs water to one tom puree and then using One Tbs of that mixture to my currys.
I watched Misty Ricardos Vid and he uses the whole mixture which leads me to think I have been getting it wrong.
Could someone please clarify this for me please?
                                                                    TIA Tom  :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic ginger paste ratio?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 11:47 AM »
When we were at Zaal, the chef was quite adament the mixture should be 60/40 with the ginger being more.  There are also plenty of threads / recipes on the site that suggest it should be the other way round.   I think the mixture is 50 / 50 at jb's local TA.  So really a matter of personal choice.
As for the tomato paste I normally use in the region of 2 to 3 tbs of the dilute with mine being diluted at a ratio of 2:1.  Looking at many of the videos the chefs use just under a full chef's spoon of tomato paste / blended plumb tomatoes for most curries which suggests the quantities i'm using are somewhere in the right area. Unfortunately, not all recipes are specific enough about this.
Hope this helps

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Thank you Curryhell, I do recall watching your Zaal vid a few year back come to think of it. May have to rewatch to refresh my mind.
Thanks for your recommendations I'll go with what you've mentioned.
I'm just in the process of making Julians base. Ive tried a few over the years and still not settled on one in particular yet.
I like the pressure cooker ones but also like the magic of the low heat method.
Thanks once again  ;)

Offline Baly

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:27 PM »
I would have to go with personal choice.There's really not any set rule as how it should be ..Any of the above methods will work fine..I'm generally A garlic 60 and ginger 40 man myself...

BB1

Offline Nickywelsh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Gotta say, ginger has never been a favourite of mine in Indian curries. I mostly used to garnish. I've just started putting it in again since frequenting this forum. Usually about a 80/20 man. That said the batch I knocked up this week is 50/50.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 08:39 PM »
In his books Vivek Singh says GG paste is 100g Garlic, 100g Ginger and 175ml water blitzed to death in a food processor.

T63

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 06:43 AM »
In his books Vivek Singh says GG paste is 100g Garlic, 100g Ginger and 175ml water blitzed to death in a food processor.

T63
This is how the chef I worked with made his g/g paste...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrca3ZcY_KQ

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 05:04 AM »

[/quote]This is how the chef I worked with made his g/g paste...
[/quote]

Even I would struggle to use up that amount. How long would an amount like that last in the restaurant?

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 06:02 PM »
That amount would last indefinitely as long as it was chilled. ..The amount he made would be gone in about two weeks...To be honest I've never made it myself because of the huge amount...I'm actually a bit lazy and buy pre made jars

BB1

©2024 Curry Recipes