Poll

What will be the result of Wednesday's referendum on remaining in Europe ?

We will remain a member, and this is also my preferred option.
3 (37.5%)
We will leave the EU, and this is also my preferred option.
3 (37.5%)
We will remain a member, but I would have preferred that we leave.
2 (25%)
We will leave the EU, but I would have preferred that we remain.
0 (0%)
Other, see message for my personal view.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 23, 2016, 02:19 PM

Author Topic: Referendum on Britain's membership of the EU  (Read 16201 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Referendum on Britain's membership of the EU
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 05:31 AM »
As to turnout, I think probably higher than in a general election, so maybe a 70% turnout.
Turnout even higher than I predicted :  "72.09% turnout ".  Mortified by the likely result, 'though:  "the lamps are going out all over England -- we shall not see them lighted up again in our lifetime".

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:56 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 07:40 AM »
I hope everyone who voted "leave" will accept their full share of responsibility for the consequences.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Brilliant result.  All pessimists who clearly do not believe in Britain / UK should seriously now consider relocating to their beloved EU.

I was so confident in the outcome, I placed a ?1k bet at 11:4 and won ?1750.

I thought the margin would have been higher - but then there were very strong Remain motivated mobilisation forces out there such as in Scotland. Fortunately the drive and real passion was with Leave.

Now watch all the other EU countries who are really feeling the painful effects of the EU more than we ever did clamour for their own referendums.  The sooner the evil EU collapses the better.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:54 AM »
We survived before the EU, and we will survive now, that's who we are. But will we get our

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I hope everyone who voted "leave" will accept their full share of responsibility for the consequences.

Being a sore loser must be one of the worst personality traits.  If you don't like it why not go back to Sweden or wherever you came from?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 06:37 PM »
/quote]

Being a sore loser must be one of the worst personality traits.  If you don't like it why not go back to Sweden or wherever you came from?

And that is typical of your average 'leave' supporter - arrogant, ignorant, uninformed, xenophobic and downright fucking idiotic.

Bring on the next Scottish independence referendum where we can leave the Brexiters to their right-wing English nationalism :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Being a sore loser must be one of the worst personality traits.
Sorry, George, on this occasion I must respectfully disagree with you.  "Being a bad loser" is inappropriate behaviour if one has lost a competition.  But this was not a competition, it was a referendum, the result of which will affect not only Britain but the whole of Europe and a great deal of the whole world.  And if one cares about the future of Britain, and the future of Europe, and the likely impact on much of the world, then I feel that one is entitled to express one's sadness, dismay and despair at finding that Little England has raised two fingers to Europe and told it where to go.  Once upon a time Britain was a major power, and could afford to raise two fingers to other nations, but those days are long since past -- we /need/ to be a part of Europe, just as much as Europe needs us to be a part of it.  At the moment there are five major power bases world-wide :  America, Russia, China, Fundamentalist Islam and Europe.  As a Briton, I have no wish to be dominated by any of the first four (think Guant

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 07:47 PM »

Thus speaks his master's voice.*

*Viz, the Daily Mail  8)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 07:49 PM »
/quote]

And that is typical of your average 'leave' supporter - arrogant, ignorant, uninformed, xenophobic and downright fucking idiotic.

Bring on the next Scottish independence referendum where we can leave the Brexiters to their right-wing English nationalism :)

Like Bob Crow? Tony Benn? Dennis Skinner?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 07:56 PM »
I have no idea what point you are trying to make, Onions :)

©2024 Curry Recipes