Author Topic: MushroomMike TA Replica Base  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
MushroomMike TA Replica Base
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:14 AM »
Mushroom Mike Garabi

1200g Spanish Onions - Sliced
1 Small Green Pepper - Sliced
100g White Cabbage - Sliced
75g Carrot - Sliced
20g Coriander Stalks - Chopped
1 1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Garam Masala (Jalpur)
1 tbsp Salt
1.5 litres Boiling Water

Baghaar

200ml Veg/Sunflower Oil
50g Garlic & Ginger Paste (50/50)
300g (approx. 3) Fresh Vine Tomatoes - Blended
1 level tbsp Mix Powder (IFFU)
1 tsp Sugar

Method

Heat oil in a saucepan and gently fry the garlic & ginger followed by the mix powder, sugar and tomatoes. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes or until the tomatoes have darkened.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer on the lowest heat for 3 1/2 hours.

After the 3 1/2 hours, blend until smooth and simmer for a further 1/2 hour until the oil separates.

Use.

This recipe came about after I ordered a portion of base from a local takeaway. After tasting it and using it to make a madras (which was far more BIR than most other curries I'd made) I realised what it was about the base that was different to many recipes I'd tried in the past. The main difference being the fact that the taste was so smooth and rounded so I set about creating something to rival it. This is what I came up with.

Most of the ingredients at lower levels except garlic and ginger and slightly elevated levels of onions to offset the other ingredients further.

With the lovely mild Spanish onions and slightly longer than average cooking time you end up with something that has all the key elements but toned down a notch.

Also slightly against the norm I have made the baghaar at the start rather than at the end. Thereby the garlic and ginger and mix powder all have a chance to mellow during the simmering process.

I've made some superb curries with this including a vindaloo which I will upload shortly in the appropriate section. I hope you will try the base and let me know what you think.

The weights of onions and carrots are peeled.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: MushroomMike TA Replica Base
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Frying garlic and ginger.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:12 PM by MushroomMike »

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Add mix powder then tomatoes.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 11:19 AM »
Add other ingredients and simmer for at least 3 1/2 hours until onions are melting.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 11:21 AM »
Blend.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Great stuff, Mike -- good to see the forum back on track.  I feel inspired to try to replicate this.
** Phil.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Fantastic Phil I hope you like it! Yes I was starting to notice the lack of curry related posting. It's only took me 3 years to get round to putting some of my own recipes up!  ;D

I've just realised whilst putting a vindaloo recipe up, how to add more than one photo to the same post..duh!

Guess it's too late to modify these now!

Offline RobbieC

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Really similar to my recipe mate. I'm gonna try this next time I'm allowed to make a base (wife's call)

I usually do the baghaar towards the end. This way I deglaze the pan with the simmering base gravy then add that to the base.

Also, have you tried roasting your tomtoms before hand? I tend to roast them up with a sprinkling of methi, salt and black pepper. Then wizz them up to be used, seems to add a very nice flavour imo...

As phil said, nice to see the forum coming back again :)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Yeah most people do the baghaar at the end but as I say I wanted the flavours to be a lot more mellowed. No not tried roasting the tomatoes for the base but I do make sure they are well cooked at the baghaar stage and add the sugar to help along the caramelisation before adding the onions and water etc.

©2024 Curry Recipes