Author Topic: CA's Naan Bread (Illustrated!)  (Read 65071 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Naan Bread (Illustrated!)
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23 PM »
PS:  An interesting observation from someone who recently said "As for photos....It proves nothing"  ;)

That's better. Your recent photo looks like the real deal. As for my other comment,  I meant in terms of taste, a photo doesn't prove a thing.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 12:55 AM »
I meant in terms of taste, a photo doesn't prove a thing.

Yes, of course, but surely you agree that a photo gives a good indication of whether or not it even LOOKS the part.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01 AM »
Hi Will,

Some people seem to think that the dough should be quite thin and sticky.  I disagree.  I think it should be soft and maleable but not sticky (like most good doughs).  If it's sticky it has too much water in it, in my opinion.  Add more flour until it's no longer sticky

My pizza stone is cracked too.  I cracked it when I was making keema naans.  Liquid from the keema fell onto the stone and cracked it.  I can still use it though and do.  Perhaps you can do the same (it's far better than using a baking tray)?

Yes, a thick, heavy frying pan will do instead of a tava.  I now use a tava just to "seal" the underside of the naan (15 seconds or so) before I transfer it to the over (it's more manageable, that way, I find).

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53 AM »
For me, my (cracked) pizza stone at very high temperature does a perfect job on naan without flipping.

Higher hydration (stickier) works better on very high heat. Low hydration on low heat, dries out the finished product as baking time is increased. I found this by trial and error. That said, I've lowered the hydration to make a more pliable, stretchier naan.

I really need to do a video on naan, as its the only area I feel I've "cracked" at 100%. And that's without a tandoor.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Yes, of course, but surely you agree that a photo gives a good indication of whether or not it even LOOKS the part.

I agree with you completely. I still say it's a lot easier to set up a mouth-watering appearance for a photo than arrive at a genuinely delicious flavour for your taste buds.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:59 PM by George »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2010, 04:24 PM »
I still say it's relatively easy to set up a mouth-watering appearance for a photo

Really?  Care to try it?  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I still say it's relatively easy to set up a mouth-watering appearance for a photo

Really?  Care to try it?  ;)

I've got better things to do with my time but it doesn't alter my opinion.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10 PM »
I've got better things to do with my time.

Strange, given your participation in a curry forum!  I'm sure many members would welcome seeing the fruits of your labours George!  :P

At least you'd then maybe appreciate that it's actually quite HARD to take a decent photo of a curry or accompaniment!  ;)

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2010, 11:45 PM »
I'm in complete agreement with CA....I've posted photos and none of them have been a good representation of any of my curries.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52 PM »
I'm in complete agreement with CA....I've posted photos and none of them have been a good representation of any of my curries.

Lol, yes, my curries are always INFINITELY better than they ever look in my photos too PForkes!   :P  ;D  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes