Author Topic: Nihari made with lamb shanks  (Read 532 times)

Offline tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Nihari made with lamb shanks
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Nihari. Slow cooked Pakistani lamb stew.

This is beautiful, a rich spicy curry topped with bright coriander leaves, a squeeze of citrus, and thin-sliced hot chiles, nihari is the ultimate comfort food. The dish’s name is derived from the Arabic word nahaar, or "day", which makes sense considering the long, slow cooking required to coax the rich marrow out of the lamb bones. This recipe first appeared in Saveur Magazines November 2014 issue and is included in their very useful Soups and Stews cookbook. You have to chop the shanks in half so, unless you do as I do and use a knife and junior hacksaw, buy them from a butchers as those on the meat counters at Tesco and Sainsburys will refuse to cut them for you. I have cooked this successfully on the hob and in a slow cooker. I use ghee in place of oil but I post the recipe as it appears.

Serves 4

For the Garam Masala
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1?2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1?4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
5 whole cloves
3 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
1 whole star anise
1 stick cinnamon, halved

For the Nihari
1 cup vegetable  oil
1 medium yellow onion, very thinly sliced
3 lamb shanks, halved crosswise
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
1 x 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled (1 inch mashed into a paste, 2 inch julienned, for serving)
1?4 cup flour
2 tbsp. ghee, melted
Chopped coriander lemon or lime wedges, minced Thai chiles, and naan bread, for serving (optional)
Maldon sea salt, to taste
Instructions

Make the garam masala:
Purée poppy seeds and 1 tbsp. water in a spice grinder into a paste; transfer to a bowl. Grind remaining spices into a powder; stir into paste.

Make the nihari:
Heat oil and onion in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium. Cook until onion is caramelised, about 25 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer onion to a bowl. Discard all but 1?4 cup oil from the pan. Cook lamb, turning as needed, until browned, 8–10 minutes.

Stir in the reserved garam masala, the cayenne, garlic and ginger pastes, and salt; cook 1–2 minutes. Add 3 cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook covered, until lamb is falling off the bone, 5 1?2–6 hours. Using tongs, transfer lamb to a bowl; keep warm. Stir flour, ghee, and 1?4 cup water in a bowl and add to pan; cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. Return lamb to pan. Serve with the reserved onion, julienned ginger, and, if you like, the coriander, lemon or lime wedges, chiles, and naan.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:35 PM by tempest63 »

©2020 Curry Recipes